External backup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dirk adamsky

Apr 24, 2012
Hello all,

I am using Omnios+Napp-it as SAN and backup storage (with the Napp-it replication plugin) in my datacenter. The replication plugin works flawless for local backups/snapshots of the virtual machines).
I now want to make external backups to my home. I have read that zfs replication isn't particularly suited to do that over a WAN link and i should use rsync instead.
Connection speed - datacenter 1Gb/s vs. home 100 Mb/s.
Can anyone advise me a reliable and safe piece of software or script to accomplish that?
Thank you in advance.

Dirk

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can establish a VPN connection and replicate filesystems over WAN.
Low WAN/Internet performance is not a problem - more security.
Other option is rsync (I would use rsync over VPN as well).

Problems with rsync
-rsync is not as fast especially with many small files
-rsync does not preserve ZFS properties and ACL

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Gea, even with the -A flag you can't get ACLs? I used it for POSIX acls on xfs systems the other day. May be different for zfs.

dirk adamsky

Apr 24, 2012
Hello MiniKnight, Gea and Chuckleb,

I think indeed that rsync is the solution. I only want to copy virtual machine files of proxmox (only large diskfiles) and vmware (disk and configfiles). I do have good experience with Openvpn (using it from 2005 on) so i will build a tunnel to my home and do some testing.
Thank you all for your input.

Best regards,

Dirk

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Gea, even with the -A flag you can't get ACLs? I used it for POSIX acls on xfs systems the other day. May be different for zfs.
There was some hope for ACL support in rsync 3.1 but current state is
- no Solaris nfs4 ACL support

Maybe its due the "problem" that Solaris CIFS can use Windows SIDs as ACL reference,
something that is not available on SAMBA.

Last edited:

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
There was some hope for ACL support in rsync 3.1 but current state is
- no Solaris nfs4 ACL support

Maybe its due the "problem" that Solaris CIFS can use Windows SIDs as ACL reference,
something that is not available on SAMBA.
I can't comment on whether rsync can preserve permissions or other attributes from zfs, but you need to get your technologies straight. ACL's are handled differently for local ZFS VS NFS4 (solaris or not and regardless of the remote filesystem) VS CIFS. Looking at the OP again, I don't believe either NFS or CIFS is part of the picture here.

I also think rsync sounds like the right solution for the job.

Ramirez58

Dec 26, 2014
You can check CloudBacko Software for backup. CloudBacko backup all servers, databases, virtual machines & workstations. CloudBacko will keep backing up your data in the background continuously. When your computer is busy with high CPU usage or network traffic, backup will automatically be paused so as not to affect the computer's performance. I hope this can help you. Try this.