Extended battery for EATON 9PX6K UPS (9PXEBM180RT)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
For those of us that like the Eaton UPS systems, and I know there are others on this forum in that category, the 9PX6K UPS allows for one or more external batteries to extend the charge capacity of the 6K model (which provides up to 6KVA hence the 6K portion of its name).

The challenge with the 9PX6K, however, is that at full load its capacity is only "about 4 minutes" (enough time to power off gracefully but not much more). Thus, adding one or more extended batteries to a 9PX6K may be interesting for some use cases like covering a 5-minute power outage without powering off.

A seller has 6x of the extended battery for this unit (9PXEBM180RT) available for $317 OBO each plus shipping: NIB 9PXEBM180RT UPS, 180V, 6KVA - Recharge 28 Dec, 2015 719896396295 | eBay

Notwithstanding that these units are probably new old stock (2015 apparently), that seems like a good deal for this niche product.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
There's some cheap Eaton UPSs on Facebook Marketplace in Houston, if anyone is around here.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I assume that Eaton is like APC, where you really need to replace all of your batteries (internal and external) at the same time to make sure that they're at the same point in the voltage/lifespan curve, or they'll spend most of their energy trying to recharge each other?

I can't wait for cheap Lithium UPS batteries. Lead-Acid has so many annoying problems.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
The price gap for lithium ion is significant and much of it's advantage (power density) is eaten up by the need for real regulation if you want them to last long.

But yeah to hell with lead acid. Ancient crap.