Explain it to me like I'm 5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

absolutnate

Feb 13, 2024
I've read hundreds of posts, watched a TON of videos and I feel like I just. don't. get. it.
I've built many many PCs in my time but this is my first real dive into the home server arena, combining current hardware with older HBA/SAS etc

This is what I have so far:

Silverstone 4U RM43-320-RS (a backplane with 5 x 12 Gb/s Mini-SAS HD SFF-8643 + SGPIO)
Intel i5-13600K
Gigabyte Z790 UD AC
128Gb DDR5 RAM
2 x 2Tb M.2 NVMe
10 x 20TB 3.5" SATA HDDs with the goal to fill the 20 bays

So the end goal is UnRaid with a chassis full of 20 x 20TB 3.5" HDDs serving up some media

Where I get lost is lanes, throughput, channels, ports 8i 16i. 6Gbps vs 12Gbps. PCIe 3 etc etc
I just need someone to explain it to me like I'm 5...and maybe not even explain it,
but just put me out of my misery and perhaps suggest the part numbers of the cards I need to make this thing work.
I've tried to get informed and go it alone but I just feel like I've hit a wall here.

So recommendations on HBA and SAS expander pairing is what I'm after.

Any insights and expertise would be oh so helpful!

Thank you!

nexox

May 3, 2023
I would suggest an LSI 3008-based SAS HBA in IT mode with 8 internal ports (-8i in standard LSI nomenclature, which is two MiniSAS HD connectors,) they're cheap, reliable, and there's a load of documentation on how to set them up. The cheapest option is something like this one: Inspur LSI SAS3008 12Gbps SAS HBA RAID Controller Card P/N:YZCA-00424-101 Tested | eBay but if you want to look around more this post has a list of different cards which use that controller: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...mplete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/#post-4321

For the expander, a solid option is the Adaptec 82885T, you should be able to run two cables from the HBA and have 5 internal ports left over to connect to the backplane, plus external ports for whenever you decide 20 drives isn't enough and buy a disk shelf or two. The expander only uses the PCIe slot for power, no data, and you can actually run it outside of a slot entirely, using the Molex connector for power.

Both the HBA and expander are going to need some airflow, the case fans may or may not be sufficient, you might need to add a duct or additional fan closer to the cards.

absolutnate

Feb 13, 2024
I would suggest an LSI 3008-based SAS HBA in IT mode with 8 internal ports (-8i in standard LSI nomenclature, which is two MiniSAS HD connectors,) they're cheap, reliable, and there's a load of documentation on how to set them up. The cheapest option is something like this one: Inspur LSI SAS3008 12Gbps SAS HBA RAID Controller Card P/N:YZCA-00424-101 Tested | eBay but if you want to look around more this post has a list of different cards which use that controller: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...mplete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/#post-4321

For the expander, a solid option is the Adaptec 82885T, you should be able to run two cables from the HBA and have 5 internal ports left over to connect to the backplane, plus external ports for whenever you decide 20 drives isn't enough and buy a disk shelf or two. The expander only uses the PCIe slot for power, no data, and you can actually run it outside of a slot entirely, using the Molex connector for power.

Both the HBA and expander are going to need some airflow, the case fans may or may not be sufficient, you might need to add a duct or additional fan closer to the cards.
THANK YOU!

Really appreciate you taking the time.

I will go take a look at these right now and consider the airflow concern.
On that topic, I added 2 x 80mm Noctua fans as the case fans (coz thats what it has openings for) and I have seen some people go full mod and cut holes in their chassis lid..

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
Those rear 80mm fans will help cool the CPU and RAM, but will pull some airflow from the mid-wall 120mm fans away from the PCIe slots. A bit of cardboard and tape can help direct the output from one of the 120s just towards the PCIe slot area, and you can probably add another 120 nearer to the cards, even if it's just churning up air inside the case and not providing any more fresh air, velocity over heat sinks is important.

Reactions: absolutnate

absolutnate

Feb 13, 2024
Those rear 80mm fans will help cool the CPU and RAM, but will pull some airflow from the mid-wall 120mm fans away from the PCIe slots. A bit of cardboard and tape can help direct the output from one of the 120s just towards the PCIe slot area, and you can probably add another 120 nearer to the cards, even if it's just churning up air inside the case and not providing any more fresh air, velocity over heat sinks is important.
And despite you posting the link above to the HBAs.. I ordered the wrong card and got a Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8i 8-Port 12 GbpsPCIe 3.0 x8 RAID Controller Card instead of an HBA. :confused: