[EU] UK deal JOBLOT - HP Proliant DL360 Gen9 SFF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello,
Notice auction and decide to share.
Note: No CPU, No RAM. No Heatsinks, No PSU, No Rails, no RAID contrl.
Should accept Xeon V4 (BIOS update req.) a bit outdated server, accept 8x 2.5" SAS/SATA/SSD drives
What you think is this good deal?

joblot 36x DL360 Gen9 starting price £150.00, job lot 10x dl360 gen9 £599.99
Addition: JobLot 10x DL360 Gen9 - £179,99, accept offers! Free delivery to UK mainland.
P.S. Same seller 2x PSU and 2x Heatsinks (some time need to assemble parts but for me is great deal). I bought 10 pieces and waiting to arrive.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Auctions by definition cannot be good deals as outside of unusual circumstances, will sell for market value.

Reactions: zunder1990

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Xeon E5 v3/4 servers are routinely listed at <400 bucks with PSUs, SAS controllers, CPUs and some DRAM. Nearly-empty shells are not going to be a good deal, unless they're Lenovo x3550 m5s because those things are a piece of crap that will commit ritual suicide at the most inconvenient times and leave you with a pile of components stranded on a dead motherboard.

Reactions: zunder1990

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
unless they're Lenovo x3550 m5s because those things are a piece of crap that will commit ritual suicide at the most inconvenient times and leave you with a pile of components stranded on a dead motherboard.
How many of them did you lose and what is the weakest component on the motherboard that leads to failure?

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I'm at three of six, dreading more to come in the near future. I think it's a power delivery issue, as the m4s received a similar firmware update to an m5 update that included a note to the effect of "prevent power regulator from self-immolating after a few years of use". Back in 2020, two failed in quick succession, from different batches, then none after the firmware update was applied, until last week when another died in a similar way...

The failure mode is consistent with bad power: the servers go down or fail to start after shutting down, occasionally starting the boot process and then suddenly halting after a few seconds. The BMC on the latest one also ended up in a very broken state, where it doesn't seem to fully boot - it responds to pings, but the web server is not running.

We excluded CPUs, RAM, PSUs, and anything else that was removable and bought R630 barebones to take the CPUs and RAM.

Sure, they're getting long in the tooth, but this is a miserable track record.

Reactions: Whaaat

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Xeon E5 v3/4 servers are routinely listed at <400 bucks with PSUs, SAS controllers, CPUs and some DRAM. Nearly-empty shells are not going to be a good deal
Yeah when even the PSUs/Heatsinks are pulled you are not in for a good time.
I flip servers and i would not have taken that 36unit lot even for free like that.

For v3/v4 boxes i normally pay 30-60/ea these days for units with psus, heatsinks, hba and nic.
Adding the heatsinks/psus/hba again to that lot and you are quickly starting to pay more just in parts.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Even a 800-1200kg pallet is rarely over 350£ out of UK.

When its a skyhigh number they either just dont want to spend the time finding estimates for each country or like that seller not willing to ship it themself.
They probably got burnt by somebody not paying their local VAT bill to get pallet released and stuck with the return cost + hefty daily storage cost from freighter (that can run into the 1500-3000£ area before rejected/returned).

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Auctions by definition cannot be good deals as outside of unusual circumstances, will sell for market value.
you know that's generally true, most of the time auctions I watch to for regular used or even higher prices. The vast majority of times.

BUT, sometimes an obscure item can go through without getting bid on, usually if there's something off about the listing.

and ONE TIME, there was a nice used enterprise SSD on auction, I put in a bid at a very low price, and it sold for much higher. but then the vendor messaged me and asked me if I'd like buy another one at that lower bid price. I was then able to make an offer for my lowball price and he took it. I think he had a lot to unload.

Last edited:
Reactions: linuxmanbg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
you know that's generally true, most of the time auctions I watch to for regular used or even higher prices. The vast majority of times.

BUT, sometimes an obscure item can go through without getting bid on, usually if there's something off about the listing.
Except the key to winning an auction at a low price is visibility/exposure, specifically the lack thereof. By posting it anywhere (like here), you give it more, which will only help drive the price up. That's only desirable if you're the one actually selling the item.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Yeah if you have any interest in it you keep it to yourself intil expired.
Auctions that have a bad description can often end in a bargains, but that somewhat assumes you dont spread it around and attract more bids.

Same if making offers on already great deal prices, to land those 30-50% below that again you need to get your own offer accepted before posting it.
As they get alot of sales they probably wont.