esxi having an issue.. help please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
Every couple weeks my esxi 6 server goes offline but in a strange way..

the setup is boot off of USB on an intel 5520 mobo, Napp-it and one other VM boot off of a SSD on SATA

rest of the VMs boot off of storage proved by napp-it via passthrough of a LSI card in IT mode and a couple drives RDM from sata.

standard setup right?

so the failure mode looks something like this..

all VMs are in a wait state. they show as running but no storage, cant ping or ssh into any of them, even the ones on SATA storage

the only VM i get any info off of is the (frozen) console screen of the Napp_it vm as it is going down.. warnings about pci device busy too long, or scsi_status=22 or met_process_inter invalid scsi status

a

esxcfg-scsidevs -c on the host

results in seeing all storage except for the LSI card.. I can see the sata connected drives

I can ssh into and web into the host esxi shell and esxi web console everthing else hangs no reply

so what is going on here.. is the LSI card going off line for some reason?

the only solution is a hard shutdown of the server and bring it back up...

if the lsi card is at fault.. why is theVM that is on the SATA drive and has nothing to do with Napp-it freezing as well..?

Thanks in advance!!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Nothing in the logs?
Make them persistent on the SSD and then check after boot...

kurbads

Oct 17, 2017
Dear dragonme, forgive me the off-top. I don't know how to PM here. Could you please share the kexts you mention in the thread
OSX HBA IT mode cards
on Google drive or Mediafire please?
David