ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Without going through 53 pages could someone kindly tell me what v4 chips are worth going for. Running duals on Desktop.
What from I have read - apparently any V4 up to 20 cores are fine for ASUS WS D8 or D16 (maybe bios upgrade would fix that particular issue with 22 core one). SuperMicro is safest choice according the majority people. I have seen names: QHZD, QHUZ, as stable and working 24/7. I've seen that ES 14 cores are stable as well. Always ask seller for compatibility of motherboard (X99 or C612) and CPU you are about to buy. Major mobo players (for single CPU solution X99 - Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, ASROCK usually work ok), although dual socket can be used as well if you plan buying 2nd cpu soon . This is what I remember while I was following thread. You can probably pick up more details. Ah and yes and V3 for those who want to play safe in respect to compatibility.

Last edited:

JinK

Dec 26, 2016
Hello. I am planning to buy the motherboard set from Natex, but I can't seem to find a suitable case and cpu cooler. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Hello. I am planning to buy the motherboard set from Natex, but I can't seem to find a suitable case and cpu cooler. Does anyone have a recommendation?[/QUOTE

Can you post a link? Is it socket 2011 or 2011-3? Does it use a narrow ilm mount? There are a lot of good cases out there and I would look at noctua's offerings when it comes to cooling, your ears will thank you :).

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Intel S2600CP Motherboard Dual E5-2670 SR0KX, 64Gb. PC3-12800R RAM, Natex.us

yeah.. it's EEB, so it's quite big.. and I heard that I have to modify cases to suit this intel mobo
These two coolers support both standard and narrow ilm mounting and are both nearly silent:

Noctua NH-U12DXi4 120mm SSO2 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com
Noctua NH-U9DXi4 90mm SSO2 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

I can't comment on the case so hopefully someone with more experience with that board will chime in.

JinK

Dec 26, 2016
These two coolers support both standard and narrow ilm mounting and are both nearly silent:

Noctua NH-U12DXi4 120mm SSO2 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com
Noctua NH-U9DXi4 90mm SSO2 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

I can't comment on the case so hopefully someone with more experience with that board will chime in.
RR-212E-20PK-R2 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan For Intel LGA1366/1156/1155/1150/775 & AMD FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 - Desktop Fans & Heatsinks - SuperBiiz.com
Does this work? I am trying to save some money lol..

animaliaparadoxa

Dec 16, 2016
I noticed a few others in this thread have the e5 2667 QHVD. I Just installed two of them in a SuperMicro X10DRI but they crash with EIST/turbo enabled in BIOS. The seller, icomputer_parts_international, has hwinfo64 screenshots showing EIST and turbo enabled but I can't get so far as logging into Windows before I get a crash. Same in Ubuntu so I can only assume it's a CPU setting. Anyone know what works as far as BIOS CPU settings for this motherboard/CPU combo? Thanks

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Nope, narrow ILM 2011 is very specific. Noctua is one of the few 'consumer' oems that has retail product also supporting server-only sockets, otherwise you'll be looking at oem/odm stuff and most of it is stupid loud and runs at full throttle 24/7 because server farms don't care. Buy once cry once ;)

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
As a QS it's practically identical to production aside from finalized microcode. Stepping is the same and revision should be the same as well. I would consider only QS or production for a virtualization role if it's mission critical.
pr

Gracias, that's what I was thinking as well. I have only been looking for QS chips on ebay, the price is so much better than retail it seems like a slam dunk.

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
Any thoughts as to whether this chip would work well in a 24/7/365 virtualization server role? It's a qs proc which I believe is pretty darn close to final silicon and the price is right...

Intel Xeon E5-2658 v4 QS 2.3GHz LGA2011-3 14C Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K | eBay
I also purchased two e5 2658 qs chips but it is v3, not v4 from eBay. Is there any reason that you are going for v4? I know that it has two more cores and 100mhz faster with little large cache. But I only paid $225 for the v3 chip. The seller was hwtrade. Shipped by DHL express made it delivered within 2 days from China to east coast. It was good experience so far. I am waiting for memories from other eBay seller to build and test.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I also purchased two e5 2658 qs chips but it is v3, not v4 from eBay. Is there any reason that you are going for v4? I know that it has two more cores and 100mhz faster with little large cache. But I only paid $225 for the v3 chip. The seller was hwtrade. Shipped by DHL express made it delivered within 2 days from China to east coast. It was good experience so far. I am waiting for memories from other eBay seller to build and test.
So that is a very good question. I am looking at V4 processors for a few, possibly invalid reasons:
They are newer
Smaller process node, therefore lower power consumption (I could be wrong on that count)
I encode a lot of video and newer architectures tend to have the latest instructions which can make a huge difference
More cores for about the same $

If there are any good V3 chips for sale point me to them! I have a budget but I'm willing to stretch it for something better. My biggest concern with ordering from overseas is the risk if the chip is bad, so far I haven't found any horror stories though.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
I have 2 10 core E5-2650 V3 ES (QEYN) coming DHL today, signature required. Hopefully they will work in the Asus Barebones (z10pe-d16 ws board) I have coming. If not I will find some cheap x99 boards to throw them in for other uses. They were cheap enough as it was. At $150/ea the were cheaper than a new i5 CPU.