Epyc 7b13 + supermicro motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

solon

Apr 1, 2021
Hey all,

I'm considering some upgrades and I spotted this on ebay: Supermicro H12SSL-i Motherboard, AMD EPYC 7B13 CPU 64 Core (OEM version of 7763) | eBay

Now, the search term "7b13" only brings up a single hit on the entire forum and the contents of that thread seem to indicate that a 7b13 is a (dell?) vendor locked version of a 7763.

That seems odd in combination with a supermicro motherboard, or am I behind on who puts what in their branded servers?

Is a combination like this likely to work without problems?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The "vendor locking" part happens when the CPU is put into a motherboard of a vendor that participates in these shenanigans. And then powered on. Straight from the production line, none of these CPUs is vendor locked. Not yet at least.
Without it, the 7B13 is an OEM-specific SKU, that might or might not work with motherboards from other brands. I.e. one that was not available for retail. If the seller claims it works with that Supermicro board, and is otherwise trustworthy, they may be telling the truth.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I'd be wary: that listing is almost certainly a mirror of a Taobao/Aliexpress listing (the guy who listed the item might just be a forwarder for all we know); the last photo in the listing looks awfully close to a photo from US-based seller 'parts.cafe', the HWInfo screenshot carefully omits the system information, and to my knowledge, no one who is not a CPU seller has ever gotten an Epyc 7B/7D13 part to boot.
The OEM-only Rome parts booted fine, but the OEM Milans might have some weird feature that prevents them from booting on regular boards.

Reactions: Andrew_Carr

solon

Apr 1, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it's all a bit iffy for that amount of money. I'll just keep looking around, see what happens to the zen3 epyc market when zen4 epyc actually becomes available.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
parts.cafe says the 7b13 works in supermicro boards. Surely there's no conflict of interest in that answer, but I ordered one to test and see since I found a good motherboard deal. They're also are selling Dell locked versions for only $500 so maybe one of those got tested previously or something? Should find out in a couple weeks or so and will keep you all posted.

Last edited:

solon

Apr 1, 2021
Well, I'm certainly curious. A 64 core Zen 3 Epyc is looking like a reasonable fit for the weird setup I'd ideally like to put together. Hope it all works!

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
It works with supermicro boards. The only problem is that, this particular SKU has a strict EDC limit(255A) which prevents if from reaching 280W TDP. But 270W is good enough I think. Less than 5% perf difference against things like 7T83 in rendering. EDC is adjustable in BIOS though, but I don't do that for safety reasons.

Vendor lock only happens when you insert the CPU into a board with this mechanics, such as ones in Lenovo or Dell machines. As far as I could say, both LGA4189 and LGA4094 motherboards do not lock out OEM CPUs, unless it doesn't support the corresponding generations of CPU from the begining.
7B13_torture.JPG

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
I just bought one of these CPUs (7B13) and can confirm it boots up in my AsRock Rack motherboard without issue.

I was quite surprised to see it list 64 cores/128 threads when I went into the BIOS. It's listed as a 60 core/60 thread CPU on PassMark's benchmark comparison site.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
I just bought one of these CPUs (7B13) and can confirm it boots up in my AsRock Rack motherboard without issue.

I was quite surprised to see it list 64 cores/128 threads when I went into the BIOS. It's listed as a 60 core/60 thread CPU on PassMark's benchmark comparison site.
It works with supermicro boards. The only problem is that, this particular SKU has a strict EDC limit(255A) which prevents if from reaching 280W TDP. But 270W is good enough I think. Less than 5% perf difference against things like 7T83 in rendering. EDC is adjustable in BIOS though, but I don't do that for safety reasons.
Ok, that's great news. And yeah, I'm banking on these being efficient and not using them in a desktop performance build so the lower TDP is kind of a good thing. I'll probably still have to fiddle with settings though to hopefully improve efficiency.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology

It's impossible to configure a EPYC3 CPU to 60 core. The core count in each CCX can not be balanced.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Would anyone here happen to have access to Matlab and would be willing to run the benchmark and post the results? Curious to see the single-thread results, since it seems to be on-par with the 7763 even without boost, at least according to PassMark.

EDIT: It looks like there is boost according to multiple CPU-Z sources.

Last edited:

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
Ok, just got it installed into my H12SSI motherboard and after a BIOS update to version 2.4 it's working fine (64 cores detected). I had to use a 1U 180W dyantron A31 since I accidentally sold off my 280W coolers. Doesn't seem to be a huge deal though since it'll just throttle anyway.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
Just thought I'd update this with my testing results. It works fine in either a h12dsi or ssi single socket motherboard. I did a BIOS update on both motherboards and moving from version 2.3 to 2.4 on the dual socket board caused some performance loss (I received this motherboard used, so they had already changed BIOS settings that were lost on upgrade I think). Anyway, I went in and raised the PPT to 280W and some other stuff and the performance is back. I have the dual socket build in a 3U case and the h12ssi in a small 1U supermicro case (the half length ones). Surprisingly, the 1U build performs fine. I was afraid the high TDP on the CPU would overwhelm the dynatron cooler since it's not rated for that many watts, but although the temps are a little higher than the 2U coolers in my other build, it basically gets the same performance (although the temp is at 85C in a 70F room). I think the longer supermicro cases with more fans would work better, but I was surprised it doesn't thermal throttle more.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Just wanted to report a successful combination of 7B13 (from parts.cafe) and AsRockRack ROMED8-2T/BCM out of the box. Had some weird BIOS/IPMI issues but updating to the latest versions seemed to fix everything.

Hapikern

Mar 27, 2023
Hello everyone! I'm interested in buying an Epyc 7B13 with a SuperMicro H12SSL-I, but the lack of benchmarks are making me doubt this purchase. Do anyone here mind doing a couple of benchmarks and post them here? I'm mainly interested in Cinebench R23 and Vray 5 benchmark.
I hope one of you can help me :)

solon

Apr 1, 2021
I have to say this is looking like an attractive option. The fact that it's really just a slightly slower 7763 makes it really interesting. With three water cooled videocards, two nvmex4 cards, a connect-x and a 2x10gbe on a H12ssl-i it's more or less perfect to run all the VM's I want. Assuming I can get it all to physically fit, that is. A H12SSL-NT would be even better but they seem thinly spread.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
Hello everyone! I'm interested in buying an Epyc 7B13 with a SuperMicro H12SSL-I, but the lack of benchmarks are making me doubt this purchase. Do anyone here mind doing a couple of benchmarks and post them here? I'm mainly interested in Cinebench R23 and Vray 5 benchmark.
I hope one of you can help me :)
Hey, I have both 7B13 and 7J13 CPUs. The 7J13 runs about 5% faster due to somewhat higher clockspeeds. I don't believe I have a cinebench for the 7B13 but the 7J13 I've gotten to about 59k points (on 2400MHz memory). For cooling I recommend the Arctic Freezer 4U if you have a desktop case. Dynatron 1U coolers work fine on my 7B13 but temps can get a little high if the room is hot and you're running it maxed out. It's also loud.
(one of my test runs)
1679936249808.png

Last edited:
Reactions: chrgrose and vvkvvk

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Not to derail this posting, but does anyone know if there are any other hidden gems in the 32 or less core packages like this? I'd love to pick up a Milan, especially if I could get a little more single core speed out of it. Maybe there is a listing of all of the cpu skus?

Reactions: vvkvvk

Hapikern

Mar 27, 2023
Hey, I have both 7B13 and 7J13 CPUs. The 7J13 runs about 5% faster due to somewhat higher clockspeeds. I don't believe I have a cinebench for the 7B13 but the 7J13 I've gotten to about 59k points (on 2400MHz memory). For cooling I recommend the Arctic Freezer 4U if you have a desktop case. Dynatron 1U coolers work fine on my 7B13 but temps can get a little high if the room is hot and you're running it maxed out. It's also loud.
(one of my test runs)
Thank you very much for the information and the Cinebench results. This CPU is looking very good, i think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy one :) (maybe two, who knows hehe)

Reactions: custom90gt