Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by altano, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

This is smaller than Ryzen AM4 size

2. altano

altano Active Member

This board does have a heat sink. It just doesn’t have active cooling, which you don’t need if you’re putting it into a 1U case.

if you do need active cooling get the 8C+ model of the motherboard instead of the 8C. It has a fan mounted on the cpu heat sink.

3. Rolando

Rolando New Member

I actually have a Xeon D running in a 1U case, but with Noctua fans that as you mention doesn’t provide enough airflow and I can’t use the stock fans because of the noise. So I’m thinking in move to a mini-itx case, that provides more height for a CPU fan but are still small enough to cover my main needs, which are: low-noise/low-energy/small-space. I’m actually looking into this AMD motherboard because the Xeon D-2100 from supermicro doesn’t have a x16 PCIe slot and I need that :/ .

Btw, just to double check , the heigh of the heatsink is 1U right?, so will not allow a fan when using a 1U case?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. altano

altano Active Member

The 8C+ and 8C both fit in 1U yes. You can’t buy a supported aftermarket cooler for the 8C but you could possibly rig something up yourself, there’s some room for a fan obviously because Supermicro was able to add one to the 8C+.
    I have this board in a 1U case with 2 FAN-0100L4 Supermicro fans and I don’t think it’s loud at all.

5. Rolando

Rolando New Member

are you sure that the 8C+ is 1U??.. that looks like the same heatsink the 8C has plus a fan, so I suspect that it will more than 1U

6. altano

altano Active Member

Yes I’m sure

7. altano

altano Active Member

But if you are sticking this board in a 1U case I would not get the active cooler. You don’t need it. Buy the board and get a couple of FAN-0100L4 Supermicro fans.

8. Rolando

Rolando New Member

I just got a response from Supermicro (is amazing that they take the time to respond this kind of questions from individual customers, kudos for that to them!). And the total height of the M11SDV-8C+-LN4F is 69.2mm which is more than 1U.

Regards!

9. altano

altano Active Member

Hmmm. That doesn’t seem right to me but who am I to contradict the people that make the board. The X10SDV-8C+ is 1U compatible. Did they just stick a MUCH larger fan on the M11SDV-8C+?

10. Rolando

Rolando New Member

Actually when I got the active cooling part for replace the original heatsink of my X11SDV-8C-TP8F, it was practically the same heatsink with a fan on top.

11. Petr

Petr New Member

Hi!
    I would recommend Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut paste - Thermal Grizzly High Performance Cooling Solutions - Hydronaut. It has no silicone what makes it very good for long term exposure to high temperatures - I use it in many laptops, even those with 45W CPUs running at full load for extended time and have good experience with the stability over years of usage.
    I am not affiliated in any way with the company, just telling my experience, BTW.

12. perrysidebottom

perrysidebottom New Member

How does it work?

13. Rolando

Rolando New Member

So, without the top panel, and replacing the stock fan for a Noctua NF-A6x25 CPU temp is about 60° C degrees and with load around 80° C (not using the FANs at full speed because of the noise). The numbers are not ideal, but still they are way better than before. That’s why I’m planning how to fit the Noctua NH-L12S into this to get better temps without affecting the noise level.