EPS-12V rewired to 8pin PCIe is it possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MumbleFysh

Mar 3, 2017
Let me start out by saying I know the pinouts are different and there's no way to physically connect the two. What I want to do is rewire the existing CPU 8 pin to an 8pin PCIe. I'm wondering if the CPU 8 pin can supply enough power to the 8 pin PCIe connector. I notice there lots of molex to 6/8 pin PCIe connectors. Is there a phase difference or anything else between a EPS and PCIe connector?

The main thing I've noticed is that there's a sense pin on the PCIe connectors that a molex to PCIe does not supply. So what exactly am I losing if I were to use a molex connector? The reason I want to use EPS-12 is because I want to leave two molex connectors open for drives and my motherboard only requires 1 cpu power connector.

This guy has an interesting write up about PCIe power connectors. Has anyone tried what I want to attempt?

Also sorry couldn't find an applicable forum to post this in. Pictures below for reference.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
That adapter looks like it has 5v connected. If the pinout is correct, it shouldn't.

If you're thinking about pulling the pins and swapping connector bodies, it would probably be ok. I would check the sense pins to make sure they aren't connected to anything.