edited

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TvdH

Jul 17, 2013
The Netherlands
Well, you also have to think about performance. Most (if not all) Intell network controllers do something called 'cpu offloading'. Which means that it prevents the CPU from being used for handling all the network traffic. USB is being processed by the processor at default which have a few negative impacts: higher latency and higher cpu load.

Maybe a quadport network controller is available on ebay for cheap. I bought a quad port intel-like (HP NC364t) controller for around 75 euro's last year.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Good idea. If you have ever tried a USB to Ethernet adapter you would see what TvdH is talking about. Poor performance. Every so often I have machines like my Macbook Air without an Ethernet port. At some point the USB versions perform poorly.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
quad 82571 are getting closer to $50 lately, 82576 easily under $100

Hell, I'd sell a quad i350 for $200

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
silicom 6 port ethernet cards use a PLX chip to bridge 6 intel nic's (3 dual port) for about $90 - they are plug n play and work great in our Sophos soft-router! Don't forget Silicom they use true intel chipsets so there are no special drivers necessary out of the box. Used to be my best secret to score dual 10gbe nic's with SR/XR optics for $120 :)

Shipping out of the USA - that's another issue!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
If you are feeling a bit adventurous, chinese brand Winyao makes relatively cheap NICs with Intel chips.
An example is this 4 port card with i350 chip for 99.99$.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have had a bad experience with a couple of Silicom bypass NICs, that I bought used.
They seem to require a special driver which is not available to the general public, and Silicom does not always give access to the driver site (my request appears to have been ignored).

Now I will admit, that I could have made a mistake somewhere, and that this is not necessarily relevant, if you make sure to avoid the bypass NICs.
But in my opinion, buyers should take it into consideration, when shopping Silicom, so they do not end up with lemons like me :)

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
If you are feeling a bit adventurous, chinese brand Winyao makes relatively cheap NICs with Intel chips.
An example is this 4 port card with i350 chip for 99.99$.
Tempting but also scary...looks like a clone of the hp and dell i350s I see all over.

Dell Poweredge Server Intel PRO 1000MT Quad 1GBPS Ports PCI E Ethernet NIC YT674 | eBay

The USB idea has been tried before, not worth it.

Duals and quads are not that badly priced either and certainly don't match the claimed pricing.
Fair-to-good price but seller has some info wrong, I believe that is a Pro 1000 VT, quad 82575/6. (MT cards are older and regular pci)

OP, USB is a pretty crappy interface for anything that cares about real world performance.
Sure it supports "OMG 5Gbps!" but bandwidth and simple file transfer bar charts are pretty meaningless without other important metrics like latency, cpu usage and when doing multiple I/Os.
USB kinda sucks at those. There are quite a few crummy chipsets too, generally only the PCH ports are good.

Last edited: