DX010 100gb switch $315 or BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
This whole subject really confuses me....

Between all of the licensing, bugs, vulnerabilities, the noise of these types of switches and my own general confusion about what is a good 40Gbe+ switch, I'm probably just going to end up building an x86 switch with 40 gig cards in it and upgrade to 100 later if I feel like I care... sure it uses more power, but I guess I could use it as a backup server also.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
If they have lasted this long, how likely are they not to get effected by the AVR54 bug?
The problem is that "this long" tends to have been a 36month cycle in production (if not pulled earlier in fear of the bug) and then sat on a pallet waiting to be liquidated, and from the vendor stats ive seen they are dieing like flies from 42-48months and out.

That they are now maybe 7-8yeard old does not mean they have ran fine for that long.

This whole subject really confuses me....

Between all of the licensing, bugs, vulnerabilities, the noise of these types of switches and my own general confusion about what is a good 40Gbe+ switch, I'm probably just going to end up building an x86 switch with 40 gig cards in it and upgrade to 100 later if I feel like I care... sure it uses more power, but I guess I could use it as a backup server also.
There is a fairly limited selection of consumer/prosumer oriented 40/100g switches with a bit of ports, so there is not that much choice about putting up with it.

Its much better than the end result from putting a bunch of 40g cards into a server and do switching without the asics.

Reactions: Digital Spaceport

klui

Feb 3, 2019
For those interested in these switches with C2000 management plane (be aware this bug also affects some Dell, Edge-Core, Mellanox, Quanta, ... switches, per Intel Atom Boot Issue | Knowledge Base from https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/mellanox-switches-tips-tricks.39394/post-421513), you just need to do some homework before you pull the trigger. Ask the seller when they were manufactured. If the switch's ODM is Celestica and they were built after mid-2017 they should have C0 stepping CPUs which won't have the flaw described in the AVR54 erratum. You can easily check if the CPU has the flaw by issuing the Linux command setpci -s 00:00.0 8.b. If the command returns 3, the CPU is C0 stepping; if the command returns 2, it is B0 stepping.

If you want to live dangerously you can reduce the fans' RPM on the D4040/DX010 in SONiC to be really slow and it's nearly silent because it uses fancontrol.