Does a 1U or 2U front-I/O chassis with bifurcated PCIe riser exist?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
I got this link from another thread: https://www.amazon.com/DMC-Taiwan-Rackmount-MicroATX-Motherboard/dp/B07VFVLDB3

Is there something out there like this, but specifically with a bifurcated PCIe riser? Either a 1U with x8/x8, or 2U with x8/x4/x4 or similar. I have a couple X10SDV mini-ITX boards, and I was thinking of putting them in the 505-203B, but I'd really like to have multiple PCIe slots. Supermicro makes WIO versions of some of their front-access 1U chassis, but I'm not sure if there's a way to make a bifurcated riser fit in those. Low profile is fine.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
bifurcation is a function of the MB, not the chassis, and most non-server/consumer mini-ITX boards do not support.

If you find a board that supports it, you could essentially use any riser with the use of PCIe ribbon extensions.

Even if you dont, anything is possible
The board supports it. The issue is actually finding a chassis+riser combination where everything fits. With how the cards are positioned, I'm not sure if something like that would fit if I were to try jamming it into a WIO chassis.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
They dont have to be to the mil, theres a little flex to the PCBs, and PCIe slot spacing is kinda standardized, so as long as youre putting a 2U riser into a 2U case you should be fine. You might just have to pick a case and make it work. like i said theres always ribbon extensions. one from the MB to the riser and 2 from the riser to the cards should still work.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Yes, but finding out what's mechanically compatible will be a pain. You can find Ameri-rack risers that are meant for 2U bifurcation usually on ebay or smaller vendors:

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Yes, but finding out what's mechanically compatible will be a pain. You can find Ameri-rack risers that are meant for 2U bifurcation usually on ebay or smaller vendors:

Yeah, that's the main issue. I'd rather not guess-and-check, and I figure someone has to have done this before and has a working combination of chassis+riser.

I do kind of wonder if I could get by with a WIO chassis, since an mITX board might be short enough to emulate the empty space on a WIO board.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
sounds to me like your real issue is you want to put a mITX board in this SM case with proprietary size MB standoffs, and have it all line up with a riser card. You keep going back to this WIO hoping someone hands you part numbers. Most risers tell you thier dimensions and what chassis theyre compatible with, along with other details. Most chassis will tell you what riser they require/support. This is not as hard as youre making it.

Google "2u bifurcation itx" and 3rd image result
1670275530472.png

I dunno about you, but i could make that work with prolly any 1U rackmount case with 2 PCI slots made to hold a mITX board.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
sounds to me like your real issue is you want to put a mITX board in this SM case with proprietary size MB standoffs, and have it all line up with a riser card. You keep going back to this WIO hoping someone hands you part numbers. Most risers tell you thier dimensions and what chassis theyre compatible with, along with other details. Most chassis will tell you what riser they require/support. This is not as hard as youre making it.

Google "2u bifurcation itx" and 3rd image result

I dunno about you, but i could make that work with prolly any 1U rackmount case with 2 PCI slots made to hold a mITX board.
I don't particularly care about which case it is, only that it has multiple slots and there's some kind of riser that fits. Any brand is fine. SMC's only front access 2U with that supports standard form factors (sc523l-505b) seems to be rather difficult to find, at least at a decent price. I'll probably have to go for the PLinkUSA IPC-2360F and just run a flex riser over to the last two slots. I was hoping for 1U, or 2U full-height, but this will probably have to do.

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
What about an OnLogic MK100? Yeah its a bit more cash but youd get a 1U chassis with front access flexPSU, IO, mITX standoffs, and 2 PCI slots. Exactly what you wanted, yes? Its pretty much a clone of my 1.5U case you asked about in the other thread.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
What about an OnLogic MK100? Yeah its a bit more cash but youd get a 1U chassis with front access flexPSU, IO, mITX standoffs, and 2 PCI slots. Exactly what you wanted, yes? Its pretty much a clone of my 1.5U case you asked about in the other thread.
Yes, thank you! That one is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for. This seems like it would be compatible.

Looking at the mounting holes, I think the CSE-513BTQC-350WB would work too (four of them seem to just be normal mini-ITX), but those are even more expensive than the single-slot version. I like the drive bays, which is the only thing I wouldn't get the with the OnLogic (even if I have to dremel it myself, since the PSU sits in the front).

Reactions: audiophonicz