Do "Fixed" or "Non-Sliding" Rails Exist for Racking a Supermicro 826

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I recently purchased 2 x Supermicro 826 chassis to replace my current 1 x Supermicro 836 and both 826s came with rev. B inner rails. As I have no need for the "sliding" functionality afforded by this rail kit, and my Google Fu not providing a satisfactory answer, I wanted to see if anyone is aware of a "fixed" rail kit for this chassis, i.e. if I had a standard rack the chassis couldn't be pulled out for service.

I think I'm looking for something similar to the rails shown in the CSE512, CSE513 section shown here: Thomas Krenn - Rack Mounting of Supermicro Servers.

To tighten the scope of my question, while there is certainly an entirely DIY solution here, I should note that I don't have any "metal working" tools here or a place to use (lack of space).

<<>>

As I tend to be less than succinct, I've summarized my thread in the first paragraph; however, to explain why I wouldn't simply purchase two outer rail kits and also to provide appropriate context, I've added a good bit of detail below.

<<>>

Server Closet, Generally
  • Living in a condo, space is already at at premium and conversion of a coat closet into a server closet seemed to be the best "home" within a "home" for something designed to live in a datacenter. Conveniently, structured wiring also terminates in that closet.
  • So I set about making a few minor modifications to that closet to make my Supermicro 836 feel a bit more welcome: namely removing all sheet rock in the closet, so I could (a) install Rockwool sound abatement insulation and (b) install vertical, wooden studs inside the flimsy metal ones and horizontal blocking (2x4s and 2x6s) to spread the distribute the weight accordingly [1], installation of a ceiling exhaust fan, and of course replacing the sheetrock.
  • Unfortunately, the depth of the closet was 0.5" too shallow to allow for racking via standard horizontal approach, so I got a bit creative (more below).
[1] I realize this could have been done with plywood on top of the existing sheetrock; however, the studs I needed to hit are already extremely flimsy (being metal) and are already "stressed" given that I installed a custom closet on the reverse side of that wall. I did ultimately use a piece of plywood, mounted using two french cleats for miminal repair to drywall upon removal.

Server Closet, Airflow as a System
  • System airflow in the modified closet looks something like this:
  • 110 CFM exhaust fan creates a negative pressure environment (closet = 59 cubic feet).
  • Cool, dense air is pulled from floor level underneath the door (approximately 3/8" gap).
  • Warm air is expelled by that ceiling fan.
Server Closet - Airflow / Vertical Rack Mounting
  • Considering the 836 had 16 x 7200 RPM HDDs in it, HDD temps were contained to max 40C via script (to least noise fan mode) it would get a bit noisy at times even in my office prior to "racking". So I thought it prudent to position it for the best chance of success (cooling without fan mode @ full all the time).
  • The closet was not deep enough to mount horizontally, so I chose to mount using vertical rack mounts, with a twist.
  • Typically, you would just use one vertical rack mount with the chassis front facing the ceiling and the chassis rack ears would rest on the vertical mount. Gravity and a couple of screws would keep it firmly in place.
  • However, given the system airflow of the closet, I chose to align the orientation of the 836 with that established path and use two vertical rack mounts to install upside down, i.e. the front of the chassis is facing the floor and the rear facing the ceiling. This approach seemed to make sense to me, alignment with system airflow, and indeed the 836 installed in the closet was able to achieve the same HDD temps as when the chassis was laying horizontally oriented in a room with air conditioning, but with less effort, i.e. a quieter fan mode.
  • This presented some "risk" in that a disk could potentially fall to the floor; however, I never had a mishap and further I used the 836 with a bezel which would have caught one if it somehow came loose.
  • The 836 mounted to the bottom mount with two screws via the rack ears (1 screw per side). A bit scary should a failure occur, but I never had an issue over 1.5 years. This chassis had rev B rails installed as well, but they didn't serve to "mount" the chassis, only the screws through the rack ears achieved that. However, I imagine they did have function in that they stabilized it at the top and bottom mount with the plastic retention "pins" / "latches" (and additionally rack nuts / bolts).
This is what the "unloaded" 4U vertical rack mounts look like (as a point of reference). Of course buying two 826s means that switch has to go, but as the new chassis have built in 10 GigE, that will be a welcomed "enhancement" and mounting a new switch to the right of the servers won't present any challenge.

826 Chassis, Misc Remarks
  • While the 836 rack ears are a simple aluminum "L" in designthe 826 rack ears are quite different.
  • There is still a similar aluminum ear behind a plastic cover. On the left ear, that plastic cover provides the system reset button. Picture provided for reference (found on another forum).
  • I don't love the idea of a screw through the plastic cover, then aluminum rack ear, and finally mount, so ideally I'd remove that plastic cover, but then I would lose the ability to power on / off the server manually. Note: I shouldn't need that considering management via IPMI; however, I don't want to forgo having that available as an option JIC.
  • I think I've seen an example on ebay that had something similar to a rack nut on the rack ear, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts as to how I can "protect" that plastic. Not really looking to keep it "scratch free" or anything of the sort, but I will be stressing that part with quite of a few lbs of weight in absence of anther solution.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Let my try that again, with less words ... :) (I mounted 1/2 using an old pair of outers)

Anyway to accomplish this without rails?

Single rack nut + screw at bottom :eek:

View from top, illustrating worthlessness of rails in this scenario