1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY backplane pcb

Discussion in 'DIY and Makers Spot' started by orson, Oct 21, 2017.

1. orson

orson New Member

Hi.

I have a bunch of those 5.25" to 3.5" SATA SAS HDD Hard Drive Cage Adapter Tray Caddy Rack Bracket For 3x 5.25" CD ROM Slot Internal or External PC DIY-in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group in my storage servers. They are cheap, they work and did I mentioned that they are cheap? Only problem is that if I have 3 of them on a case that is 15+ drives to manage cables for. I fixed power cables by making my own 5sata to custom plug from modular power supply (modular power supplies ftw!) but data cables are hard to mod. I am thinking about making custom, simple pcb with sata/sff-8087+power on one side and pcb mountable sata + power connectors (like this: SATA connector female 7P+15P 22Pin 15+7 SMT Connector socket 90 degree for SATA hard disk interface 22pin , PCB board -in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group) Only issue I have is to find information do I need any chip to convert 8087 to 4 sata ? 8087 is 36 and sata data has 7 (36/4 = 9). Is this a straight connection of pins from 8087 to pins in sata data cable ? Or do I need something more ?

Thank you and have a nice day.

2. Aestr

Aestr Active Member

Full disclosure this is not my area of expertise so everything I share is purely Googling. Also I would not recommend custom PCBs to handle data signals if you really care about this data. The money you save is minimal compared to the potential headache of lost/corrupt data.

That out of the way this document shows the pinout for an SFF-8087 cable and it looks like there's a direct mapping for transmit and receive pairs for each SATA cable so you shouldn't need any logic chips.

3. orson

orson New Member

Hi.

Thank you for that document! I was looking for something exactly like this!

I know that messing with high frequency pcb is not an easy task but I recently did a board with multiple HDMI paths and it works fine :) As long as You don't cross the streams ;) and keep tracks same length it should be fine :)

Thanks again.