Disabling OpenVPN encryption over TCP on PIA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajthemacboy

Oct 24, 2016
I question whether anyone here can be of assistance considering this is a problem with Private Internet Access, and not a server question, but it can't hurt to ask.

I am desperately looking for a way to disable OpenVPN data encryption and authentication over TCP using Private Internet Access' provided OpenVPN files.

Originally I thought this would just be as simple as setting "auth none" and "cipher none" in the .ovpn files, but this doesn't work; see the log here. Strangely, it works perfectly fine when I disable them in the UDP files, but not the TCP files. I know it is possible to connect to the server this way because it's 100% possible in the PIA desktop client; you can disable data authentication, encryption, and use TCP in the advanced settings perfectly fine.

Next I connected to the server over TCP with encryption and auth disabled using the Windows client and checked the command line options of OpenVPN using Process Explorer:

"C:\Program Files\pia_manager\openvpn.exe" "--client" "--persist-key" "--persist-tun" "--comp-lzo" "yes" "--dev" "tun" "--script-security" "2" "--remote" "104.156.240.151" "500" "--auth-user-pass" "C:\Program Files\pia_manager\data\user_pass.txt" "--writepid" "C:\Program Files\pia_manager\log\openvpn.pid" "--proto" "tcp-client" "--nobind" "--management" "127.0.0.1" "31749" "--log-append" "C:\Program Files\pia_manager\log\openvpn.log" "--remote-cert-tls" "server" "--cipher" "none" "--auth" "none" "--ca" "C:\Program Files\pia_manager\data\ca.crt" "--sndbuf" "262144" "--rcvbuf" "262144" "--tls-remote" "520413d7335snipc6476snip4331ac5a" "--pia-signal-settings" "--plugin" "C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia-openvpn.dll" "--block-outside-dns"

No matter how I mangled these options I couldn't get these arguments to work on my Ubuntu server. Obviously the openvpn.dll flag wouldn't work on Ubuntu, thus I omitted several options in various configuration. I also tried using the port 500 in the OpenVPN TCP files (the default is 502) with no luck either.

Is this perhaps something restricted to the PIA client on Windows? If so is there no way to replicate it using OpenVPN? Again, I understand that this might not be the right place to ask, but I've tried PIA support and they're incredibly unuseful.

Thank you!