W

Dell Wyse 5070 / 5070 extended thin clients

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@WANg - re:
• Intel i340-T4 Quadport GigE cards
Is it known NOT to work or just not tested yet?
It’s more like me recycling the template off the t740 and not having the time to get rid of the extra text - as far as I am aware, it should work (I don’t have the 5070 Extended model so this is based on 3rd party reports).

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I was able to boot 5070 Extended with Qlogic branded BCM5709 Broadcom 5709 NetXtreme II Dual Port Server Ethernet Gigabit PCI-Express x4 (v2.0). Also, that card was recognized by OpnSense.
Didn't test performance or IDS just yet.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
I have the one without a PCIe slot and was able to use an i350-t2 with an m.2 E key to PCIe adapter.
Which M.2 to PCIe adapter are you using? It looks like many (all?) that I’ve found require some additional power to provide 12V that’s normally available on the PCIe slot.

Fart_biscuits

Mar 17, 2021
Which M.2 to PCIe adapter are you using? It looks like many (all?) that I’ve found require some additional power to provide 12V that’s normally available on the PCIe slot.
I got mine as a bare motherboard only so I had to get creative with a case and cooling. There’s an unpopulated fan header near the cpu, I soldered in a fan header from an older motherboard. It works for the adt-link adapter and a fan…

Rttg

May 21, 2020
Interesting - I’m only finding 3.3v and 5v pads on my multimeter. Guess I need to keep hunting

heromode

May 25, 2020
On the extended version, i noticed a 'P' marking next to one of the serial port 'ioio' text, and i'm assuming this means power, but i can't find any info on this in the Dell manual.. maybe someone with a multimeter handy could see if you can get 5V or 12V from some of the rs232 pins?

This would be handy incase someone needs to add a power hungry pcie device, and has cooling issues. Since the entire cover is perforated one could just attach a nice 140mm fan on the outside right above the pcie slot, and power it via the serial connector.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Interesting - I’m only finding 3.3v and 5v pads on my multimeter. Guess I need to keep hunting
Got any pictures of the 3.3v and 5v pads on the board?

On the extended version, i noticed a 'P' marking next to one of the serial port 'ioio' text, and i'm assuming this means power, but i can't find any info on this in the Dell manual.. maybe someone with a multimeter handy could see if you can get 5V or 12V from some of the rs232 pins?
trying to figure this out as well as I want to attach a GPS module for NTP. Hoping I can get 5V from the Serial port and use TTL vs a RS-232 converter or having to jumper power from USB.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 12.14.00 PM.png

abq

May 23, 2015
Got any pictures of the 3.3v and 5v pads on the board?

trying to figure this out as well as I want to attach a GPS module for NTP. Hoping I can get 5V from the Serial port and use TTL vs a RS-232 converter or having to jumper power from USB.

View attachment 21608

@e97, your GPS NTP project sounds very interesting. You can buy the GPS modules very cheap on ebay, even find GPS antenna for mounting outside. I had one connected to Pi3, and had been looking at Intel NUC. Very few NUCs have gpio for precise timing/interupt. Would you mind sharing your plan and application with 5070? Thanks Much, ABQ :)

Last edited:

e97

Jun 3, 2015
@e97, your GPS NTP project sounds very interesting. You can buy the GPS modules very cheap on ebay, even find GPS antenna for mounting outside. I had one connected to Pi3, and had been looking at Intel NUC. Very few NUCs have gpio for precise timing/interupt. Would you mind sharing your plan and application with 5070? The Much, ABQ :)
Creating a Stratum-1 time server => μs / ns level accuracy vs ms accuracy with internet NTP. More a fun project rather than a specific need.

Made possible thanks to the ~$10 GPS modules from u-blox. Many builds using a Raspberry Pi. Since I need a new gateway/router and the Wyse 5070 has a serial port, why not both?

I'll post a separate thread when I work on it, here's some links in the meantime:

Last edited:
Reactions: abq

abq

May 23, 2015
Creating a Stratum-1 time server => μs / ns level accuracy vs ms accuracy with internet NTP. More a fun project rather than a specific need.

Made possible thanks to the ~$10 GPS modules from u-blox. Many builds using a Raspberry Pi. Since I need a new gateway/router and the Wyse 5070 has a serial port, why not both?

I'll post a separate thread when I work on it, here's some links in the meantime:

Sounds great, thank you for sharing links. ..I have a couple of same u-blox modules, very pleased to have found precision timing version so cheap on ebay (u-blox lea-m8t). I also purchased an external amplified GPS antenna & splitter, so I could run 2 as quasi stratum 1. I did pull together a basic rubidium clock for short-term stability. Never interfaced or sync'd rubidium clock with ublock 1pps. Also gave up on U-blox>Serial>USB approach in attached picture, since I wanted better precision. ...The original Pi3 was repurposed for pihole, and I moved NUC search to back burner based on difficulty finding gpio for precise sync (I wanted interrupt, not polling or statistical jitter filtering approaches). ...I currently defaulted back to coarse & standard network NTP server approach. ...BTW, Solarflare has some nice NICs with potential for distributing high precision timing across homelab network;). ...I don't NEED precision timing at home, milliseconds are fine, but merely doing for fun & learning.

Attachments

Last edited:

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Sounds great, thank you for sharing links. ..I have a couple of same u-blox modules, very pleased to have found precision timing version so cheap on ebay (u-blox lea-m8t). I also purchased an external amplified GPS antenna & splitter, so I could run 2 as quasi stratum 1. I did pull together a basic rubidium clock for short-term stability. Never interfaced or sync'd rubidium clock with ublock 1pps. Also gave up on U-blox>Serial>USB approach in attached picture, since I wanted better precision. ...The original Pi3 was repurposed for pihole, and I moved NUC search to back burner based on difficulty finding gpio for precise sync (I wanted interrupt, not polling or statistical jitter filtering approaches). ...I currently defaulted back to coarse & standard network NTP server approach. ...BTW, Solarflare has some nice NICs with potential for distributing high precision timing across homelab network;). ...I don't NEED precision timing at home, milliseconds are fine, but merely doing for fun & learning.
Sounds like your setup is pretty advanced! Rubidium clocks and special NICs distributing NTP sounds interestin, will have to look into them later. Local ethernet is good enough for my home network time needs :)

The modules I've found which have PPS and can get down to μs / ns level accuracy are:
Microcontroller-Compatible-Sensitivity-Navigation-Positioning - module ~$12
Waterproof-Navigation-Adhesive-Receiver - external extended antenna ~$11 (optional)

These are NEO-6 which looks to be standard accuracy (30-60 ns) and 2 generations old. They are on Neo-8 now and the LEA-M8T (~$50) you mentioned is specific for high precision timing, 20ns precision with +/- 11ns jitter.

"Quantization error information can be used with NEO-6T to compensate the granularity related error of the timepulse signal" this is mentioned in a few of the linked articles. Hopefully can get 15ns compensated accuracy.. not sure if it applies to NEO-6M as well.

The main thing to keep in mind is to use Serial / TTL. PPS is generally only available on Serial / TTL, not USB.
USB bus is prone to large variance from the bus and hotplugging devices as well as potential power loss.
Serial is simple and stable.

To use this on the 5070:
- need to map pin out Serial port ,
- verify 5V config option and which pin outputs 5V/1A
- verify TTL capable vs RS232
- verify signal at 3.3V

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
How about this one:

I think I want to buy one - just to see if it works - and if thats the case - its cheaper than buying one of the offcial dell network ports. And should enable you to get two rj45 with some creative dremel cutting :)

Or this one:

P.S. In regards to power. The extended version uses the same motherboard - just with extra things soldered onto the motherboard.
So e.g. the power for the cpu fan for the extended version can be seen on this picture:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ollar-wyse-5070-thin-client-mini-server.29242 - and I am guessing the jumpers metioned above turns on the power for those pins.

Obviously nothing has been connected to those 4 holes - but I assume you could probably just buy a 4 pin connector (male) - and solder it to the holes yourself - and you would have yourself a 5V power supply inside the chassis.

1645205208127.png
1645205220731.png

Last edited:

glow

Mar 22, 2022
Intel X520 DA2 works in the Extended version. Running OPNSense 22 (FreeBSD 13).
Dell's Intel X520 does not work, presumably due to Dell's firmware attempting to allocated resources in memory where it shouldn't. I have been struggling to stop this behavior, since Intel's and Linux's firmware tools are not being cooperative, and online resources being limited. Well, my skills being limited don't help, either :D

As for potential bandwidth limits of PCIe 2.0 x4 at 16Gbps effective datarate, it doesn't seem too bad. OPNSense/BSD based routers seem to have difficulty with > 4Gbps Inter-VLAN routing anyways, and I'd need a >6 Gbps symmetrical dataplan + max InterVLAN routing before I start running into the 16Gbps limit.

Based on some benchmarks and comparisons I've seen online, I am looking into moving to a Linux based kernel, and am trying to run either Fedora IoT or Silverblue with a containerized FRR. Or just iptables --> kernel packet filter. Also trying to see if moving to Linux will help resolve OPNSense/FreeBSD somehow drawing 29W in this configuration. Extended does come with a 130W brick, presumably to cover the PCIe slot's max consumption. Running Linux will also make it easier to run my MT7915AN as an AP. Earlier testing showed pretty decent iperf3 performance, but FreeBSD lacks any meaningful wifi drivers.

Here is to hoping the next gen version with Jasper Lake / Elkhart Lake will bring PCIe 3.0 capabilities. Though my X520 will not make that transition, given its PCIe endpoint is only 2.0 anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Intel X520 DA2 works in this. Running OPNSense 22 (FreeBSD 13).
Dell's Intel X520 does not work, presumably due to Dell's firmware attempting to allocated resources in memory where it shouldn't. I've been struggling to stop this behavior, since Intel's and Linux's firmware tools are not being cooperative, and online resources being limited. Well, my skills being limited don't help, either :D
Did you try the old SMBUS pins blocking trick with the dell card?

Reactions: Patrick