Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tasort

Dec 6, 2022
So I accidentally flashed the 1400X CPLD onto my 610. I was expecting it to tell me it's the wrong file, but I guess now I know it'll flash the wrong file anyways. A couple of the ethernet port lights are on solid now even without any cables connected. Seems I can still access the BIOS and DiagOS, so I'm hoping flashing the correct CPLD back will fix it.

Does anyone have a link to the VEP1400 (non X) CPLD? I can't find anything on the dell site. Entering my service tag (or other 610 service tags I found on ebay listings) doesn't bring anything up

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I suspect the CPLDs can be read out as well using the same tools, so if someone with a CPLD on a non-X is willing to dump their bitstream that would be the easiest.

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017
My unit didn't come with a power supply. Is the center pin positive? How many amps of 12V does it need?

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017
When my 620 unit arrived, I booted it with both vyos and DANOS to see if the interfaces would show up. They all showed up correctly.

Then I decided to update the BIOS, that was rough. Ultimately to install Dell DIAG-OS, I had to go into the existing BIOS and set it to only boot UEFI to the USB stick that I had the iso on. Then I was able to install.

I wasn't able to update the bios with the
Code:
./VEP1400-X-BIOS-3.48.0.9-19.bin
I had to use
Code:
./vep1400x_ufw_2.2
It put the host into a different mode, rebooted. Then ran that command again and it updated the BIOS, PIC, and CPLD. The BIOS it installed was a newer BIOS than was in the main BIOS bundle.

That update reset all settings and I lost the interfaces inside vyos or DANOS. I had to remove the plastic cover (4 outer Hex screws). Then boot the device and press the two little buttons next to the power port as soon as I saw the initial bootup screen. That reset the BIOS again but eventually when everything powered up, the interfaces were showing correctly in vyos or DANOS.

Vyos is able to use the built in QuickAssist for IPSEC offloading.
Code:
set system acceleration qat
I haven't tried benchmarking it yet to determine if I'll use vyos or danos.

Notes:

1) I put a 1G SFP module into the SFP+ port and it did not work. I put a 1G/10G SFP+ module in and it did work. I have not tried linking it to a 1G port on the other side yet.

2) You can remove the BIOS password by going into the BIOS, selecting Security, Administrator password and then when it asks for the new password, just press Enter. It will ask if you're sure you want to remove the password.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
Does anyone know what these buttons do on the dell edge 610 E42W (MMN: VEP1400) circled in red.

Also which bios is suitable for the 610 to get Pfsense running?

Attachments

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Does anyone know what these buttons do on the dell edge 610 E42W (MMN: VEP1400) circled in red.

Also which bios is suitable for the 610 to get Pfsense running?
They are used to override the watchdog and port settings. That means any BIOS will work.

Reactions: Brood

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
They are used to override the watchdog and port settings. That means any BIOS will work.
Thank you for the quick reply Oneplane, Which one do i need to press on the 610 to overide the watchdog? as I've tried and it reboots like clockwork in the bios. I would not put it passed me as i might have done it wrong... Is it a quick press or a long press and is it while booting or after it already booted up?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Thank you for the quick reply Oneplane, Which one do i need to press on the 610 to overide the watchdog? as I've tried and it reboots like clockwork in the bios. I would not put it passed me as i might have done it wrong... Is it a quick press or a long press and is it while booting or after it already booted up?
Sadly, I don't know which one of the two buttons it is, how long to press them, and if it requires one or more reboots.
I would push both of them for 2 seconds at the same time, and then reboot if it doesn't reset automatically. If the ports all show up, and the system keeps running for more than 5 minutes it's in the correct state.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
I've done some testing on the Dell 610 E42W with a bios version of 3.43.0.9-8 build date 24/6/2019 that was on the box when I got it and I can confirm the following.

The button furthest away from the sfp cage resets the bios chip to default values but does not disable the watchdog. I've done long and short presses and ad various points during the boot cycle.

The button closest to the SFP cage seems to do nothing. I've done the same of testing with short/long presses at varous stages during the boot and that also had no effect on the watchdog as it kicks in every 5 minutes.

I will replace the RTC battery as it seems to be low to see if that will fix the issue - *Edit the RTC battery is back to normal now

1682025549114.png

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
On my 610, I've also tried the two buttons and observe the same thing: 1) does a BIOS reset, 2) I did not observe any change in behaviour.

I have not been able to upgrade the BIOS on my 610, nor have I found a way to disable the watchdog. I've shelved my 610 until I have some time to dig further; I bought another system since I needed to do a deployment, quickly.

Has anyone gotten a 610's a) BIOS updated, and/or b) disable the watchdog?

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017
After I did a BIOS reset, I got a RTC Battery warning until I set the time in an OS and let that sync the hardware clock. That removed that warning message.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
After I did a BIOS reset, I got a RTC Battery warning until I set the time in an OS and let that sync the hardware clock. That removed that warning message.
Thank you for the heads up. One question is the 620 a vep1400x or just a vep1400 model also did you have to update the clpd and pic too or did you only update the bios?

mirochulovesnetwork

Apr 21, 2023
Hey guys, first time user here,
I was trying to flash the bios and the clpd using one linked by ralph (dumb me that didn't see the x in vep1400) but it ""bricked"" my 610 (still boots and accesses bios but network doesn't work, one light is permanently on)
Does anyone have a firmware updater that works with the 610, i can't find it anywhere.
Thanks

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
Hey guys, first time user here,
I was trying to flash the bios and the clpd using one linked by ralph (dumb me that didn't see the x in vep1400) but it ""bricked"" my 610 (still boots and accesses bios but network doesn't work, one light is permanently on)
Does anyone have a firmware updater that works with the 610, i can't find it anywhere.
Thanks
I am also trying to find a suitable Bios/CLPD/Pic update that will work.

@FluffyBones has managed to update the 610 and get Pfsense running. Hopefully he will see this message to help us out.

I do wonder if you can just do a bios update and without updating the PIC & CLPD... or if there is a easy way to extract the PIC and CLPD images to keep them as backup

Last edited:

mirochulovesnetwork

Apr 21, 2023
If anyone needs the 2 spi flash dump for the 610 here you go.
Please note that i dumped them from my 610 that has corrupted clpd because i flashed the wrong bios, bios still working tho.
I've used a ch341a to dump the 2 flash, if i can dump anything that might be useful please reply to this post!
10.21 MB file on MEGA

mirochulovesnetwork

Apr 21, 2023
I am also trying to find a suitable Bios/CLPD/Pic update that will work.

@FluffyBones has managed to update the 610 and get Pfsense running. Hopefully he will see this message to help us out.

I do wonder if you can just do a bios update and without updating the PIC & CLPD... or if there is a easy way to extract the PIC and CLPD images to keep them as backup
There could be a way to dump the clpd, if @oneplane could specify what tools could be used to dump clpd i could give it a try since my firewall is now useless with corrupted clpd