Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
The ufw package from Dell can actually read re-flashable BIOS, CPLD and PIC images. I don't think we can read the PIC, but the CPLD and BIOS are working on a VEP1400X unit I have here. (I still don't have a non-X unit :()

Reactions: Brood

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
@oneplane I have both the 610 (VEP1400) and 640(VEP1400-X). How did you manage to flash the dell diagnostics on the 640? I've tried on the 640 but now i just get the following screen and I think something went wrong.
1682187410294.png

I've used the following files from dell: Bios and diagnostics

I've used rufus to flash the memory pen with the diagnostics ISO and then tried to install the diagnostics on the EMMC module.

It would be much appreaciated if you could help can point me to a guide on how to get the Dell diagnostics installed and how to run the bios update.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
@oneplane I have both the 610 and 640. How did you manage to flash the dell diagnostics. I've tried on the 640 but now i just get the following screen and I think something went wrong.
View attachment 28559
This is the EFI shell, it's what is left as the default boot option when all other options aren't available. Looking at the drives it seems that FS0 should work (EMMC AFAICT). If DiagOS didn't get a efibootmanager entry (it should have) you can generally do it manually:

fs0:/
dir
(look for EFI or BOOT)
cd efi (or boot)
dir (yes again)

There should be a grub.efi, boot.efi, grubx64.efi or something like it, which you can launch (grubx64.efi [ENTER]) and that should then start the normal boot process.

The EFI boot manager entry can be fixed from within DiagOS, but let's make sure you at least get to there you need to go.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
@mirochulovesnetwork which header/s did you use on the 610 to dump the images? I have a working 610 that is unmodified and I will be able to pull the CPLD and PIC images once i have a CH341A. A pinot would be very useful.

mirochulovesnetwork

Apr 21, 2023
@mirochulovesnetwork which header/s did you use on the 610 to dump the images? I have a working 610 that is unmodified and I will be able to pull the CPLD and PIC images once i have a CH341A. A pinot would be very useful.
i've desoldered the flashs and attached directly some cables to the pins, here is the schematics of the flash1682188481629.png
i attached it to the ch341a like this:
FLASH --> CH341A
CS -- > CS
DO -- > MISO
WP -- > N/A
GND -- > GND
DI -- > MOSI/MOIS (on some boards is misspelled)
CLK -- > CLK
HOLD -- > N/C
VCC -- > VCC

I suggest you to do the 3.3v mod on your ch341a because on some boards (black ones) it always gives 5v data lines at the flash and you could fry it.
Here is the tutorial i've used, is pretty easy if you have basic soldering skills
Hope this post will help you your bios, but i think that you can't dump the pic/clpd, anyway if you dump the bios please post it and i will try it on my bricked 610!
PS make sure to dump the 2 flash!

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
This is the EFI shell, it's what is left as the default boot option when all other options aren't available. Looking at the drives it seems that FS0 should work (EMMC AFAICT). If DiagOS didn't get a efibootmanager entry (it should have) you can generally do it manually:

fs0:/
dir
(look for EFI or BOOT)
cd efi (or boot)
dir (yes again)

There should be a grub.efi, boot.efi, grubx64.efi or something like it, which you can launch (grubx64.efi [ENTER]) and that should then start the normal boot process.

The EFI boot manager entry can be fixed from within DiagOS, but let's make sure you at least get to there you need to go.
It looks like I had a issue and it didn't install the diagnostics. I've reflashed the usb drive with rufus in dd mode and turned off compatability mode in the bios and it then installed and I managed to update the bios, CPLD and PIC.

or I think so anyway:

1682193201380.png

*edit - Success... no more rebooting every 5 min... I will intall PFsense tomorrow... I will follow up with progress

Last edited:

compuwizz

Feb 25, 2017
Thank you for the heads up. One question is the 620 a vep1400x or just a vep1400 model also did you have to update the clpd and pic too or did you only update the bios?
The 620 is a vep1400x. I used the ./vep1400x_ufw_2.2 command and it upgraded everything automatically.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
Has anyone manage to find the VEP1400 bios that is the non x varient or has managed to disable the watchdog on the Dell E42W 610?

Reactions: tasort

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Hey guys, first time user here,
I was trying to flash the bios and the clpd using one linked by ralph (dumb me that didn't see the x in vep1400) but it ""bricked"" my 610 (still boots and accesses bios but network doesn't work, one light is permanently on)
Does anyone have a firmware updater that works with the 610, i can't find it anywhere.
Thanks
Sorry to hear that. Didn't think about removing the link.
I have searched for a BIOS update for that specific model in both, Dell's website and VMWare's, but no luck so far.

I suspect that 610 models were sold exclusively by other vendors, like VMWare, so Dell will not have any downloads related to it.
Also, after searching for it through VMWare/VeloCloud docs, seems that upgrades had to be made from the OS itself.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
The easiest way to disable the watchdog from the OS is using i2cwrite. This is also what is used in the DiagOS RC scripts.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
The easiest way to disable the watchdog from the OS is using i2cwrite. This is also what is used in the DiagOS RC scripts.
If I understand it correctly the I2Cwrite as its not persistant during upgrades of PFsense like the bios upgrade on the edge 640 and I will be deploying at a remote location. Therefore its of concirn and it needs to be a robust solution.

I did however notice that if you boot the 610 into the UEFI shell that the watchdog is not kicking in as I was in it for over an hour with no restarts... It also looks like you can have a look through the bios using the SMBIOSVIEW command.

This might be a noob question but is it possible to deactivate the watchdog by booting into the UEFI shell and modifying the bios that way... similar to how some people reactivate under voltage function again on a locked down laptop bios?

Also are you able to update the bios from the UEFI shell on a EDGE 610?

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
If I understand it correctly the I2Cwrite as its not persistant during upgrades of PFsense like the bios upgrade on the edge 640 and I will be deploying at a remote location. Therefore its of concirn and it needs to be a robust solution.

I did however notice that if you boot the 610 into the UEFI shell that the watchdog is not kicking in as I was in it for over an hour with no restarts... It also looks like you can have a look through the bios using the SMBIOSVIEW command.

This might be a noob question but is it possible to deactivate the watchdog by booting into the UEFI shell and modifying the bios that way... similar to how some people reactivate under voltage function again on a locked down laptop bios?

Also are you able to update the bios from the UEFI shell on a EDGE 610?
Yes, the watchdog is controlled by a UEFI variable as well, I haven't looked for it yet, but UEFITool would be able to help you find it. It does require a firmware backup image or firmware upgrade image. DiagOS and the UFW package can get a UEFI image. Reading the SPI chip directly also works.

As for i2cwrite during upgrades: the write command only needs to be done once in the first 5 minutes of a boot, so as long as it is added directly after mounting the disk (so an early boot command) it will always be on time.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
Yes, the watchdog is controlled by a UEFI variable as well, I haven't looked for it yet, but UEFITool would be able to help you find it. It does require a firmware backup image or firmware upgrade image. DiagOS and the UFW package can get a UEFI image. Reading the SPI chip directly also works.

As for i2cwrite during upgrades: the write command only needs to be done once in the first 5 minutes of a boot, so as long as it is added directly after mounting the disk (so an early boot command) it will always be on time.
I will have to wait for the CH341A to arrive and make a bios dump on the Edge 610... as I could not find the bios anywhere for the Edge 610 at all.

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
So I had a dig through @mirochulovesnetwork edge 610 bios upload and I've manage to extract (Full on noob here so I'm winging it here) but I did find something interesting:

1682688442954.png
1682688493009.png
1682688530738.png

So asuming that this is the watchdog disable option...the question would be... how do you turn it off without gui access eg through the built in shell?

Any advice would be appreaciated

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
So the WatchDogTimerDXE is essentially a Firmware Driver, this in itself it not what you need, but does show that there is EFI control over the WatchDog.

What you need is the EFIVars, which you are also on the right track for. It goes something like this:

- Discover which EFI Var corresponds to the watchdog
- Use an UEFI shell with a var writer to edit it on the device
- Reboot into the OS and see if it stuck

I'll see if I can find the 'how-to' version for those steps, I think it was even posted on the forum here.

Edit: This is the closest I got in a few minutes: ~jlin: blog: 2020-06-01 :: Hacking UEFI Variables

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
@oneplane thank you for the quick reply. I've done a search and it shows the areas below. Do you know how to identify the associated UEFI shell var or is it trial and error? My punt would be at offset 04h

1682689458123.png

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
So that DXE is the 'default' EDK2 WatchdogTimer that comes standard with UEFI 2.0 (edk2/MdeModulePkg/Universal/WatchdogTimerDxe at master · tianocore/edk2) so that is a prime candidate. I don't know if this is also what Dell users, because come to think of it, the timer was reset over I2C and not using an UEFI Protocol... so perhaps the PIC in the VEP is used for watchdog functions and the UEFI DXE is embedded but not used at all.

On the other hand, the UEFI spec does state that the WDT has to be set to 5 minutes when initiating an UEFI boot, so the time does match 100%...

Code:
     * The UEFI standard requires that the watchdog timer is set to five
     * minutes when invoking an EFI boot option.
(via u-boot/efi_watchdog.c at c2ea87883ef309570c8903e6de4b8b78685d73d0 · ni/u-boot )

If the UEFI WDT is the only one running, the only thing needed isn't an EFI Var, but an EFI Protocol signal. Sometimes the EFI loader or BTX does that (just like GRUB).

Brood

Apr 15, 2023
I've tried the extracting the watchdog information using the IFRextractor but it doesn't find any information on the bios dumps from mirochulovesnetwork uploaded from his bricked edge 610. I am waiting for my CH341A to arrive and I will pull the unedited bios off my 610 and retry as the grub bootloader on the edge 610 is password protected so I cant even dig into that to see if they disable the watchdog in there

mirochulovesnetwork

Apr 21, 2023
I've tried the extracting the watchdog information using the IFRextractor but it doesn't find any information on the bios dumps from mirochulovesnetwork uploaded from his bricked edge 610. I am waiting for my CH341A to arrive and I will pull the unedited bios off my 610 and retry as the grub bootloader on the edge 610 is password protected so I cant even dig into that to see if they disable the watchdog in there
Please remember to post the dump here :- )