Dell R740XD (or 14th gen) Processor Check - Xeon Silver 4210t

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
Hello

I have a Dell R740XD incoming and i'm looking to upgrade the processors from the included Bronze to a second gen silver. The specs show it supports second gen silvers, specifically the 4210 and 4210r, but it does not state it will support the 4210t. Is anyone running a 14th gen Dell with the Xeon Silver 4210t?

Thanks

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Silver 4210 is listed as supported. but as a single cpu only. (likely due to just 2 qpi links instead of 3)
I would recommend Gold 6138 its cheaper and faster. (some ~70 usd avg on ebay)

nexox

May 3, 2023
If two Bronze work then the missing QPI shouldn't be an issue. Is there a specific feature you're looking for on the second gen? Otherwise they cost a lot more for very similar specs, compared to a $10 4114 the $150 4210 gets you slightly higher turbo clock and not a lot else. If that slightly higher single thread performance is appealing then there's always the $20 6132.

cptcrunch

Dec 14, 2021
Kentucky
If two Bronze work then the missing QPI shouldn't be an issue. Is there a specific feature you're looking for on the second gen? Otherwise they cost a lot more for very similar specs, compared to a $10 4114 the $150 4210 gets you slightly higher turbo clock and not a lot else. If that slightly higher single thread performance is appealing then there's always the $20 6132.
Ideally, i'm hoping to build this once and then never touch it for 5 years. So my thought was going with a 2nd gen xeon just for piece of mind so i don't have to "rebuild" in a few years. But honestly, it's just going to be a standard esxi host with unraid, truenas, and 5-10 VMs. If there isn't a significant difference between 1st and 2nd gen, like idle power savings or significant passmark, then I can probably just go with 1st gen and be done.

nexox

May 3, 2023
The one thing that some people like is hardware mitigation of Meltdown and Spectre, but the software mitigation don't cost enough performance to shift the price/performance away from Skylake, just because there's so much supply and the prices are so low.

I assume there are some minor low-level performance and power improvements, but they're both on the same 14nm process, it's not the typical tick/tock sequence that we usually see from Intel.

Reactions: cptcrunch