Dell R720 iDrac : Express vs Enterprise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zecas

Dec 6, 2019
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this thread about iDrac questions I have.

I'm planning on buying a Dell R720 which is listed as having iDrac. Just that, it only lists as having iDrac. I will make some questions to the seller to understand which version we are talking about, but in the meanwhile, I have some questions which I hope you help me to understand.

Assuming we are talking about say iDrac 7, I believe there are an express and an enterprise version (maybe some more like basic and datacenter). If I want to have a remote console, do I need to get the enterprise version? Or does the express version also provides this feature?

To have the enterprise version, I need specific iDrac hardware board and also a license to be applied on the interface?

I believe the enterprise version comes with a physical ethernet port. But is it possible, in the express version, to select an already existing ethernet port for that purpose? So if the R720 comes with a 4-port NIC (like a Broadcom 5720), I could select one of the ports to be reserved for iDrac? Or ... does the express version also comes with a dedicated ethernet port?

Thank you for your help.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I wonder what you'll see in google if you search for
smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set= "9QYZF42"
How you will use this information is up to you, I just shared a google search query.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
All R720 have an iDRAC port built right onto the motherboard. The included port comes with BOTH Express and Enterprise, but only Express is automatically enabled. To “upgrade” to enterprise you need to get an Enterprise license code, which you enter into an iDRAC configuration.screen to unlock the Enterprise features. No extra/different hardware is needed.