Dell H200 $34

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
are these limited to 3TB and below drives? Will these work with 6tb drives? I'm finding conflicting reports.
The chipset does allow for support upto 8TB's but won't we need to cross flash this with LSI's own firmware?

Last edited:

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
are these limited to 3TB and below drives? Will these work with 6tb drives? I'm finding conflicting reports.
I have 2 that are flashed to the lsi 2008 IT firmware, works fine with my various 5/6/8TB drives. I use a pair with my intel RES2SV240NC SAS expander as well. Basically the same card as the beloved IBM m1015.

Don't have an answer for stock firmware, but they are simple to flash.

Flapjack

Mar 17, 2017
I have 2 that are flashed to the lsi 2008 IT firmware, works fine with my various 5/6/8TB drives. I use a pair with my intel RES2SV240NC SAS expander as well. Basically the same card as the beloved IBM m1015.
So you are using the H200 in IT mode with 8TB drives?

I have an R710 with a PERC 6/i and tried to upgrade a three-disk 2TB RAID5 VD with three Western Digital 8TB drives (WD80EZZX drives shucked from external USB enclosures). As everyone but me probably knows, the PERC 6/i has a hard 2TB limit that can't be fixed with a firmware flash. I then ordered an H700 card, because I read the latest firmware supports > 3TB drives, but found out later (after it shipped) that 6TB drives seem fine... but many (if not all) 8TB drives won't show up (maybe depending on sector size?).

So now I'm stuck. I'd really like to use these drives, but am not sure what card I should get to support them. I don't need boot support, as the OS is installed on a SATA SSD. I already have a cross-flashed H200, so when I found this thread, I got excited. The only issue is that I had fits trying to get the R710 it came from (a different R710, with 2.5" drive bays) to boot with the cross-flashed H200. I can't remember them message, but something didn't match. I believe I eventually resolved it, but I'm going to guess my R710 with the 3.5" bays isn't going to like it.

Here is a thread that talks about the drives I'm trying to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WD 8TB helium drives

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
>So you are using the H200 in IT mode with 8TB drives?
Yes, 1 x 8TB Seagate SMR Archive v2, 2 x 8TB WD Red(pulled from a duo) plus a bunch of 5/6TB Toshiba/WD/Seagate drives, no issues with my s3710 drives either.

Currently have 3 of these crossflashed and connected to the back planes in my norco 4224, with no issues. I don't have any r710s, I try to stay away form anything that old. The oldest I've played with recently are some R210 II with 1240v2 procs that I got for cheap, they actually both came with an h200 which I flashed and used for a short time before pulling them and having them as spares.

If you have issues booting with the crossflashed h200 and you are using a ssd/hdd as boot on the mobo just make sure you have onboard/embedded sata enabled as your primary boot option in the bios.

Reactions: Flapjack

Flapjack

Mar 17, 2017
Yes, 1 x 8TB Seagate SMR Archive v2, 2 x 8TB WD Red(pulled from a duo) plus a bunch of 5/6TB Toshiba/WD/Seagate drives, no issues with my s3710 drives either.
Good to hear. I have a crossflashed H200 sitting in a drawer right now. I just need to get another R710 with 3.5" bays, which I should have shortly.

Currently have 3 of these crossflashed and connected to the back planes in my norco 4224, with no issues. I don't have any r710s, I try to stay away form anything that old. The oldest I've played with recently are some R210 II with 1240v2 procs that I got for cheap, they actually both came with an h200 which I flashed and used for a short time before pulling them and having them as spares.
The R210 is nice, but I get the R710s because they are cheap, plenty fast for what I do, come with 2.5" and 3.5" chassis, and can run up to 288GB of memory (most of my servers have 72GB or 144GB. The max of 32GB on a R210 as a hyperconvered storage/compute is useless to me (nice server, though).

If you have issues booting with the crossflashed h200 and you are using a ssd/hdd as boot on the mobo just make sure you have onboard/embedded sata enabled as your primary boot option in the bios.
I'm pretty sure I have the setting already checked. The only issues I've had booting the current server is when I have the NVMe card (in a PCIe adapter) installed. It simply will not boot up. I've been told if I take the PERC card out, it should boot fine. I'll have to play with the new one when it gets in.

I believe the only issue I had with the H200 card was that it would not boot in the modular slot. If I put it in a regular PCI slot, it booted fine. I can't remember the error message (something about it being an invalid adapter... as if it was not "known" by the BIOS), but I'm pretty sure I got around it and got it to boot in the modular slot.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I have an R710 with a PERC 6/i and tried to upgrade a three-disk 2TB RAID5 VD with three Western Digital 8TB drives (WD80EZZX drives shucked from external USB enclosures). As everyone but me probably knows, the PERC 6/i has a hard 2TB limit that can't be fixed with a firmware flash. I then ordered an H700 card, because I read the latest firmware supports > 3TB drives, but found out later (after it shipped) that 6TB drives seem fine... but many (if not all) 8TB drives won't show up (maybe depending on sector size?).
You need different cables for a PERC 6/i (weird, long connectors at the PERC end) vs. a H700 (normal SFF-8087 connectors). If you have a 3.5" chassis, are in the continental US, and are willing to pay the shipping (or pick them up in the NYC area) I can give you the pair of cables for a R710-3.5" / H700. If you have a R710-2.5" or are outside of the US, let me know and I can at least provide the part numbers. [Note: this is for a H700 "integrated" in the special RAID controller slot. The H700 with bracket goes in a different slot and needs longer cables.]
So now I'm stuck. I'd really like to use these drives, but am not sure what card I should get to support them. I don't need boot support, as the OS is installed on a SATA SSD. I already have a cross-flashed H200, so when I found this thread, I got excited. The only issue is that I had fits trying to get the R710 it came from (a different R710, with 2.5" drive bays) to boot with the cross-flashed H200. I can't remember them message, but something didn't match. I believe I eventually resolved it, but I'm going to guess my R710 with the 3.5" bays isn't going to like it.
The R710 BIOS wants to see cards with the "integrated" PCI ID in the internal slot and cards with the "regular" PCI ID in the normal back slots. If you flash an "integrated" PERC to generic firmware / SPD, you'll get the "Invalid card detected in integrated RAID slot" (or somesuch) message from the BIOS.

Edit: I just pulled some cables to check. The PERC6/i should have 0G2H6 (SAS A) and C31YC (SAS B) cables. The corresponding cables for the H700 are N170M and P110M. This is for a 6 * 3.5" R710. Sometimes Dell has multiple part numbers, so these may not match yours exactly. Let me know if you need the H700 cables.

Last edited:

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
The R210 is nice, but I get the R710s because they are cheap, plenty fast for what I do, come with 2.5" and 3.5" chassis, and can run up to 288GB of memory (most of my servers have 72GB or 144GB. The max of 32GB on a R210 as a hyperconvered storage/compute is useless to me (nice server, though).
yeah I agree the r210 II limit of 32GB of ram wouldn't work for me for a HV, I have my 2 x r210 II setup in a HA configuration handling my routing/firewall needs.

My main HV/storage rig is in the norco 4224 with 2 x e5-2695v3 currently with 512GB of ram.