WD 8TB helium drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Looking at the data sheet...
8tb active 6.4w / idle 5.2 / sleep 0.7
6tb active 5.3 / idle 3.4 / sleep 0.4

Pretty close the the he8 sata drives... But they are 7200rpm and enterprise drives.

I don't get it though, seems the 8tb is more ore less not as efficient as the 6tb drive... How so ?

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Looks like the single 8TB externals are $250.

WD's My Book External Desktop Hard Drives

And actually in stock at Best Buy.

WD - My Book 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black
Got one here in EU. I got it under 200. It is possible to remove the drive. It is a complete white drive but I think it got the green firmware.

I seen some speeddrops with the drive. Maybe it is a smr drive. How I can find out if it is one? Smartdata to an Seagate SMR Drive is very different so ....

SLS

Oct 7, 2012
I shucked two of these and badblocks stressing now. Smartware however seems to be taking up space I only get 7451.91GB in linux. I rushed it and didn't try to remove while still in enclosure, assuming its even possible to do so.

It doesn't show any HPA using hdparm.

In hindsight I should have just bought the DUO for a bit extra and get a useful raid enclosure as well as keeping warranty.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I shucked two of these and badblocks stressing now. Smartware however seems to be taking up space I only get 7451.91GB in linux. I rushed it and didn't try to remove while still in enclosure, assuming its even possible to do so.

It doesn't show any HPA using hdparm.

In hindsight I should have just bought the DUO for a bit extra and get a useful raid enclosure as well as keeping warranty.
Which version of the drives did you get? Amazon or Best Buy? What were the dates?

kiwimonk

Mar 11, 2016
Anyone have any luck with the WD My Book Duo 16TB? I'm thinking about picking up a few if they are really the Red Drives.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I'm busy replacing my 3 and 6TB disks with 8TB red's. Very happy with the drives.

Have a question for other owners:
My 3 and 6TB red drives are set to spindown using hdparm. Once they are in standby mode I can query them with, for example smartctl -a /dev/xxx, without waking them up. If its in standby mode it stays in standby
The 8TB reds are different. When they are in standby mode a smartctl -a query wakes them up and brings them to the active/idle state.
I already found that smartctl -i -l scttempsts /dev/xxx gives me the output I need for my scripts without waking up the 8TB drives. It doesnt help with normal smart monitoring. Once that runs the disks spin up.

Can anyone confirm that they have the same behaviour with their 8TB reds.

Quick test would be
hdparm -y /dev/xxx to put the drive into standby
(use lowercase y, not -Y, the capital Y puts the drive to Sleep which is more difficult to get out of)
Then hdparm -C /dev/xxx to confirm the drive is in standby mode
Then run smartctl - a /dev/xxx to get the smart data
and last hdparm -C /dev/xxx to confirm the disk is running or in standby by.

For reference I'm using a Supermicro sc847 chassis with single port sas expanders and a LSI9207 controller.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Just placed an order for 3x 16GB My Book Duo. They may take a few weeks to show up, but I'll update once I have them in hand.
They will be reds for sure. Because you can set RAID in there. Best part was the education pre order. WD My Cloud Mirror for 450 Bucks but I just ordered one :(

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Ordered 4 of these from Amazon recently and I got all 4 WD80EZZX Drives. All made in April 2016.

The ones I got were all Made in April 2016 and no longer has any HGST Japan References. They have been replaced with WD References. But more or less should be the same drive.

Old:

New:

Pretty decent benches I would say.
Here are the benches :

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

kiwimonk

Mar 11, 2016
I finally got my 6 drives in. Took them out of the Duo cases..
They are WDC WD80EFZX... Good times ;)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Are the internal drives themselves eligible for warranty separate from making your warranty claim with the MyBook serial #?