Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I think they are all selling the same units and if so, yes they are the real rails. The rails are universal square/round and snap on easily. They are secured with the built-in locking screw and pulls it tight. I don't have my set handy or I could give you the min dimensions.

markwo

Mar 29, 2013
So I have some questions about the included rails that the primary ebay sellers offer. Are these the real Dell rails Y3DX1? What is the minimum rack size (post to post) to use them? Do they fit on square holes?
I bought mine from mobile_computer_pros (specific listing linked).

The rails I got look OEM, but don't have a Dell part number on them. Fully collapsed, they're 24.25". You'd need to extend them a little to snap them into a rack. They're square hole compatible with snap-in clips, similar to recent Dell RapidRails I've used there. I saw someone mention somewhere that the rails they received were for use only with a round hole rack, but that seems very unlikely to me. I wonder if they were just unfamiliar with the round appearance of the bolts that slip into square-hole racks, or maybe I'm mis-remembering and they just said they worked with a round hole rack.

I hadn't even given them a second look until now, but they're not quite what I expected. I don't have a 4 post rack at home to try them in. They look like they'd install in the rack and then the server would just be inserted and lay on top of them, like most UPS rails I've used. They don't appear to be able to slide the attached server out of a rack for maintenance.

There are two little clips that stick out of the sides of the server that look like they'd be used to attach to a set of rails, but there aren't any accommodating holes on the set of rails I received.

As far as I can tell, they do look identical to Y3DX1 as shown here. Mine are marked King Rail.

Perhaps the C6100 just didn't come with slide-out rails since the C6100s were designed for big cloud environments and maintenance of the internals wasn't a priority. There's not really all that much to get at inside the case with the hot-swap trays, so I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Marktwo I actually have another take. The Y3DX1 | eBay are really easy to deploy.

When doing our colo deployment with the C6100 it became clear that the whole idea is that they were made to be super simple to swap out. One screw push a lever and pull a motherboard tray out. PSUs redundant and hot swap. Drives easy to swap from the front. Anything in the midplane just pull the chassis and swap the nodes in. So they are basically built for swapping major compontents or the entire chassis.

markwo

Mar 29, 2013
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I wasn't sure at first if they weren't the standard OEM rails since they didn't slide out, but I can see how the application here is different than your typical rack server. Not having to set the server down into sliding rails would save time.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I had one student worker rack 11 in about 10 minutes by himself. He loved it. It took longer to wire up than to rack.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
I did, and I responded. It's quite odd that you are having PM problems.
Yeah, no replies from you in my inbox... Which is rather strange.
Did you get pm with my email details?

E: Ack... The email I got from you was buried to spambox :I

Last edited:

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
The rails I got look OEM, but don't have a Dell part number on them. Fully collapsed, they're 24.25". You'd need to extend them a little to snap them into a rack.
Great info. Thanks. I am looking at a rack like this: RACK6-20U-FR|20U 4-POST STEEL RACK, 31.5†DEPTH which says it is 26.5" internal frame. That gives it a little over 2 inches to extend a little to snap into the rack. Does that seem like it would work?

Also, are there problems with PMs? I sent one to someone a few days ago but didn't hear back. Maybe he just didn't respond, but who knows?

markwo

Mar 29, 2013
Great info. Thanks. I am looking at a rack like this: RACK6-20U-FR|20U 4-POST STEEL RACK, 31.5” DEPTH which says it is 26.5" internal frame. That gives it a little over 2 inches to extend a little to snap into the rack. Does that seem like it would work?
I think they'd need to extend less than an inch to snap in, so 2" should be plenty of space. The server will of course overhang outside the back of the rack, but you probably already know that part.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
anyone know if you can fit a video card into the low profile PCIe 2.0 x16 slot on a riser? Say like a ati 7970 card? I was thinking of making one of the boxes my main pc with gaming capabilities. I could figure out how to power the card separate. Also possible use one of the two top units and figure out a way to have the card outside the main unit. any thoughts?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
anyone know if you can fit a video card into the low profile PCIe 2.0 x16 slot on a riser? Say like a ati 7970 card? I was thinking of making one of the boxes my main pc with gaming capabilities. I could figure out how to power the card separate. Also possible use one of the two top units and figure out a way to have the card outside the main unit. any thoughts?
Dell did this with the C6220 series. They added support for even dual slot coolers. If you took out a node it would fit, but you would have to figure out how to mount the card in that space and would need a PCIe extension cable. I also don't know how you would power the card. The C6100 XS23-TY3 has huge power supplies but not a lot of extra connectors to draw power from like the average gaming CPU.

Would be cool if you managed to do it but I personally would think that is too much effort to get this to work.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Dell did this with the C6220 series. They added support for even dual slot coolers. If you took out a node it would fit, but you would have to figure out how to mount the card in that space and would need a PCIe extension cable. I also don't know how you would power the card. The C6100 XS23-TY3 has huge power supplies but not a lot of extra connectors to draw power from like the average gaming CPU.

Would be cool if you managed to do it but I personally would think that is too much effort to get this to work.
I'm thinking if i used top most node, used this type of cable to extend out the pcie slot and either left off the top of the case or modified it to allow the cable to pass outside it to something built to hold the card and separate psu.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Depending on the requirement of extra pcie 6 pin power supply I would splice some excisting 12v lines or tap in right on the internal psu-board. An extra psu would be a pain wouldn't it? Perhaps one of those SFX (?) small form factor bricks could fit right into a 3 x 3.5" cage.

I like the idea. Where are you going with it? Gaming rig or rendering like some of the guys are already doing over here?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
can someone put up detail pictures of the pci slot and the top side of the case. just like to see what would be involved if this was attempted.

thnks

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
Does anyone have a source for the cable set used to connect additional internal drives to a node with the LSI PCIe SAS card, e.g., M1015/LSI-9220-8i? The SAS Mezzanine card cable probably won't work.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Does anyone know if you can have nodes startup in a specific order? IE I would want my storage node first to provide iscsi to the other nodes. then my vmware node, then other two nodes.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You could probably set the head node to resume from power and turn that off on the other nodes. Then you would be able to put a startup script that sends IPMI commands to the other nodes, delayed by whatever you want, for poweron. IPMI check to see if it is on then IPMI poweron.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
So L5520 will only support max per dimm with 8 GB?
And 5600 will support max per dimm with 16 GB?

Thanks

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
What is a simple and cheap way to attach 10 total drives to a single node? I have 10 open drive slots in my C6100 and an M1015 I could use, but the cabling is a mystery to me. How do I hook up extra drives to the M1015? Can it be done? My alternatives:

1) Use the M1015 with an SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter and connect DAS w/ HP SAS Expander (kludge because no space for 8087->8088 bracket in C6100?)
2) Buy an LSI 2008-based 8e adapter, connect DAS with HP SAS Expander. Will the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA work? Looks good to me. Cheap on ebay right now.