Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
There might be other ways, but I believe this would work:

• 6 Cable SATA harness to connect onboard SATA ports to interposer board SATA ports (part no. is somewhere in this thread)
  • Special Dell SFF-8087 + SGPIO to 4x SATA from midplane MB1/2 HDD1~4 -> backplane Drives 1-4 (part no. might be in this thread)
  • Special Dell SFF-8087 + SGPIO to 2x SATA from midplane MB1/2 HDD5~6 -> backplane Drives 5-6 (part no. might be in this thread)
  • SFF-8087 forward breakout 4x SATA cable from mezz card -> backplane Drives 7-9 don't connect cable 4 from breakout
  • SFF-8087 forward breakout 4x SATA cable from mezz card -> backplane Drives 10-12 don't connect cable 4 from breakout
Wont one of those need to be a reverse breakout since the mezz card has two sata ports? Also, how do we get to the backplane? I am not really sure how to remove that cover above the drives. I really need to figure out what the SGPIO is for. To many new terms/abbreviations to learn. =P

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Quick questions while I wait for my server to be shipped to Norway:

The PSU is 110-230v input, autosense or using a switch?
And one PSU is sufficent to power all 4 nodes, doing 100% CPU-load at the same time? Dont have any plans for any addon/mezzanine-cards, and will use a SSD in each node for storage.

Last edited:

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
1100w PSU should be good. Here are the details from Dell's manual

1100w - For 4 nodes system.
Up to two processors, nine
hard drives, and nine
memory module

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
Is anyone having issues with Console Redirection for C6100. I got by machines yesterday and am trying to access the remote console and I get "Connection Failed" when running java webstart console.

I enabled the Remote Console Management.
I set the NIC to be "Dedicated" and LAN to be DHCP.
I am able to log on to Dell Remote Access webapp.

I tried setting the FLOW control to "hardware" and "software" still no luck.

Only the following ports are open

Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp filtered ssh
23/tcp filtered telnet
80/tcp open http
111/tcp filtered rpcbind
161/tcp filtered snmp
443/tcp open https

BMC was updated by the ebay seller.

I know port 7578 should be open but it isn't. What am I missing?

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I wonder if it would be possible to fit/power a SAS expander in the secondary psu slot. Unfortunately I dont think there is any molex power connections available. I am just trying to think of ways to connect the 12 non used bays to an external storage server. That way one of the nodes doesnt have to be used as a storage server.

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
Very interesting avnbs ... which firmware are you running? I have four nodes... in a new chassis all same firmware versions. One has the same issue. Started a BMC firmware thread http://forums.servethehome.com/proc...707-dell-c6100-xs23-ty3-firmware-updated.html

Do you know which version yours are? (may be worth using that thread to reply though.)
Will reply in the linked thread. Just adding the reply here for sake of completion.

I have had the seller ( theserverstore.com) update the BIOS and BMC. They were unable to update FCB.

BIOS is at 1.70 and BMC is at 1.30.

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Nice! I checked on mine earlier, the service tag came up as invalid on the few nodes i had checked... :/
Out of curiosity, was this a 2.5" 24 bay C6100? On my two 12 bay C6100's, the service tag is in the front left corner on the top, and on the 24 bay, it's on the side of the power buttons for nodes 1 and 2.

I did a best off on eBay for one with 16 SAS drives, and it arrived today. The service tag comes up as invalid on Dell's site. The sticker on the top of the machine which lists the model number is different than the two 12 bay models I have. Quite interesting. I am going to call Dell and see if I can find any info about it.

Jeff

MaxCFM

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger!
Apr 11, 2013
Atlanta,GA
I've now joined the ranks of C6100 owners... I'm sure you will be seeing a build log as I rebuild my home lab :D

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
In this generation of MB and CPU the memory speed would drop based on the number of chips installed due to voltages provided to the memory. I do remember seeing that fully-loaded memory configurations would drop to 800mhz from all major vendors. I am trying to find references in either the Dell manual or others for this, but it does take a lot of power to run all of the resources. I will post something if I can find it.

One thing to note, the manual says that you can't run these things in a full configuration with all 4 nodes and the 1100W power supplies (full disk, memory, CPU). Not really sure what that means to those wanting to run full disk stacks. In the HPC model you would run them disk less or one set so never fully loading them.
I thought I would post an update to this...

I bought some of the Samsung 4GB memory from a few different eBay auctions, and found that I can populate all 12 sockets and it runs at 1066MHz instead of 800MHz. I believe this is lower voltage memory or something like that, and that's probably the difference.

The model is M393B5170EH1-CF8. Here's a link to one of the places I got it, and I offered $12 each BIN for 24 of them and they accepted it. They informed me that it was removed from Dell C6100's when I initially asked about compatibility.

Jeff

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
Will reply in the linked thread. Just adding the reply here for sake of completion.

I have had the seller ( theserverstore.com) update the BIOS and BMC. They were unable to update FCB.

BIOS is at 1.70 and BMC is at 1.30.
Is Console Redirection working for anyone/everyone?

I am still unable to get console redirection to work. The bios, bmc is update to date.
I have played with all the options in the bios but to no avail.

If anyone has console redirection working, I would like to check/validate the bios settings.

BTW, Remote management shows Dell logo instead of American Megatrands.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Which OS and which browser are you using? I had to switch to Chrome to get it to work, although even then it's an ugly multi-step process to get it launched given the rather restrictive security settings on my laptop.

Is Console Redirection working for anyone/everyone?

I am still unable to get console redirection to work. The bios, bmc is update to date.
I have played with all the options in the bios but to no avail.

If anyone has console redirection working, I would like to check/validate the bios settings.

BTW, Remote management shows Dell logo instead of American Megatrands.

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
Which OS and which browser are you using? I had to switch to Chrome to get it to work, although even then it's an ugly multi-step process to get it launched given the rather restrictive security settings on my laptop.

I am able to log into Remote Management using Safari, Chrome and IE on windows 7.

The issue is with console redirection. Here is a link of the screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/0xaAr6t.jpg

Last edited:

avnbs

Apr 18, 2013
My next guess would be a client Java problem. You have tried logging in from another computer and got the same problem?
I did try from different computers. I get the same error. The java console is trying to connect to port 7578. There is nothing listening on that port hence the error. You can open the jnlp file in textpad to see the connection details that is failing.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
No. Dual-rank is not bad. Its probably good. Its also why you maintained DDR1066 speeds.