Debug logs for SMB service?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Hi, anyone knows where or how I can get debug logs for the built in SMB service in OmniOS? The share is set up via Napp-IT.

I have issues with not being allowed to overwrite some files (from OS X). It just happens once in a while, and as far as I can see the files have the correct permissions.

I would like to see the error log somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I suppose the only debugging option would be dtrace
SMB DTrace Examples - Managing SMB File Sharing and Windows Interoperability in Oracle Solaris 11.1

regarding your problem.
Have you checked ACL or Unix permissions? Only nfs v4 ACL is relevant. (OSX must respect but cannot fully display or modify)
Have you modified Unix permissions? You should not

I have only seen one problem with Macs. This is when you write a file and the network disconnects. This leads to a locked file for quite some time.

Other options:
- switch set nbmand of a filesystem (default on)

some problems result from oportunistic locks, you can try a disable
svccfg -s network/smb/server setprop smbd/oplock_enable=false

some basic infos about Solaris CIFS
http://www.snia.org/sites/default/orig/sdc_archives/2008_presentations/tuesday/AlanWright_OpenSolaris_CIFS.pdf (not the newest doc but I don't know any better that is newer)

Last edited:
Reactions: nle

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply!

Not modified unix permissions, everything should be ACL with all rights. Only one SMB user shared accross a few Macs with latest macOS.

Example from directory where the problem took last took place:
Code:
drwxrwsrwx+  6 <user>     <group>           7 Jan 20  2017 <dir name>
drwxrwsrwx+  3 <user>     <group>           3 Jan  2  2017 <dir name>
drwxrwsrwx+  6 <user>     <group>           8 Apr  5 14:12 <dir name>
drwxrwsrwx+  6 <user>     <group>           7 May 11  2012 <dir name>
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 <user>     <group>            9780 Aug 13  2015 <filename>
It's especially one user that sees this problem, and the only difference I can see is that she uses "column view" in Finder (instead of list/details), and this forces a preview of every file you select.

nbmand is off, due to previously using AFP (now uninstalled). It's currently served files via NFS (for other VMs) and SMB (Mac users)

I'll try to change nbmand that and see if it helps.
If that does not help, I'll try the opportunistic lock.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Solaris CIFS is ACL only and the note that there are ACL are indicated by the "+" after the Unix permissions. You can list them at console via /usr/bin/ls -v or via Windows or via napp-it in menu ZFS filesystems > ACL on folders

Reactions: nle