[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by woodshop2300, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CyberSkulls

CyberSkulls Active Member

I thought I was being careful too and they snapped easily. Wouldn't shock me if WD is making those clips more and more fragile to purposely break when you open them. If I was them that's exactly what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

I had my father-inlaw help who does autobody work so he's always dealing with pita clips in cars parts. We managed to get the first case open with the clips in place, but as soon as he touched it lightly they broke. My bet is the are there for voiding warranty and not to hold the case in place. Next two i get we going in from the front and bottom and seeing if we can slide it out that way without breaking the clips.

3. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

Seems that someone on Reddit bought 120TB worth of these drives. Sheesh

4. woodshop2300

woodshop2300 New Member

He'll be really good at getting into these things soon enough then..

5. StammesOpfer

StammesOpfer Active Member

Wasn't me... Only 96TB from Duo's drives.jpg

RobertFontaine likes this.
  6. K D

K D Well-Known Member

12 drives mfg date mar 2017 and made in Thailand.

7. CyberSkulls

From the Best Buy deal?

The 12 from my 16TB Duos were Thailand March 2017, and so far the 2 I have from BB retail store were also Thailand February 2017.

I don't know why I care about this but I do. Prayin to the data gods before the last 9 arrive on Wednesday.

My 3 White label WD80EZZX from Amazon were Thailand as well from October 2016.

8. Klee

Klee Well-Known Member

I'm still showing restraint!!! I need to focus on GPU's for my mining motherboard.

9. CyberSkulls

They raised the price back to $249 for the 8TB anyway. So your out of the woods!

I want to try some mining and with these drives replacing smaller drives I want to play with Burst before I sell them. I have some chassis sittin idle so figure why not.

10. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

They are still at $203 on amazon with prime, what I missing here ? Or we just don't like amazon ?

11. K D

K D Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Churchill

Churchill Admiral

Because the Chinese made drives have been less than reliable while the Thai made ones were from the factory that WD normally produces drives from.

13. CyberSkulls

This is a Best Buy "only" or "specific" model so they are not available on Amazon. The Best Buy model is a easystore and contains a 8TB Red model # WD80EFZX while the Amazon model is a My Book and contains a 8TB white label drive model # WD80EZZX .

Source: I own multiples of both models from both places. So I am 100% confident they are different drive models.

14. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Ok that makes sense, I was kind of missing why people were so excited.

15. K D

K D Well-Known Member

$179 for an 8TB red.

16. RobertFontaine

RobertFontaine Active Member

This is a sickness.

17. K D

K D Well-Known Member

\_(ツ)_/¯

18. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

for anyone looking to open these without breakage, this is the best how to video I've found:

pay attention to where this person starts; on the side closer to the power plug. it makes a difference, and is easier if you start on that side, then the other side just pops open. if you do the reverse, for me, it was harder.

19. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

I got two opened without breaking the clips. If you start at the bottom or top between the outer shell and inner case that holds the drive with a small flat screwdriver then wedge in that opening a flat piece of plastic like what in this kit
    Amazon.com: JC Performance Plastic Interior Wedge Tool - Automotive Trim tool (5 Piece, Blue): Automotive

Get one wedge in place then do the opposite side using the same method, when both the top and bottom are wedge in place then apply pressure to each to slide the case out of the shell. The two I did popped right out withoutbreaking the clips.

20. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

I don't know if you're talking about this specific case, or a previous version of a WD My Book, but in this case, the "clips" are not on the top or bottom edge at all. There are guides that slide on a rail, but you don't want to pry on those at all. The clips are actually on the back edge, on the side where the USB and power plug are at. The video above shows how. There's no "prying" - that's a sure way to risk breaking something. When you slide the cards in, what you're really doing is pushing a retention notch out of the notch in the outer casing, which releases and allows you to pull the inner case out. There's no "prying" at all, just "sliding".... this is by the way, different than previous generation My Books which I've opened too.

This was my first time opening this new style My Book, and with that video, it was quick and simple and no stress on the plastics at all. Once you get it, this style is actually a lot easier to open than previous versions.