CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xternal

Jul 31, 2023
Its really odd, its almost like proxmox is miss representing the CPU usage. Top in the CLI shows what would appear to be typical usage, but the WebGUi and Proxmox show 90-100%
Screenshot_20230831_162529.png

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
I have been running with virtio, albeit on a completely different box with i7-11900. The main benefit of passthrough is that i226 can be used with hardware offloads enabled (but with intrusion prevention it still needs to be disabled, but I don't use that). Main benefit of virtio, besides what you mentioned, is if opnsense (or rather freebsd) doesn't support some weird network hardware, linux probably does so you can use virtio. With gigabit internet and shaping enabled I don't see more that 25% usage on opnsense bare metal intel N100
Good information. Thanks. Going to stick with virtualized for the migration ability.

Donut7059

Jul 25, 2023
I have been running with virtio, albeit on a completely different box with i7-11900. The main benefit of passthrough is that i226 can be used with hardware offloads enabled (but with intrusion prevention it still needs to be disabled, but I don't use that). Main benefit of virtio, besides what you mentioned, is if opnsense (or rather freebsd) doesn't support some weird network hardware, linux probably does so you can use virtio. With gigabit internet and shaping enabled I don't see more that 25% usage on opnsense bare metal intel N100
so you create a virtual bridge inside say proxmox for every interface passing to opnsense ?
i've been struggling with getting my vm's to use dhcp and route through the virtual opnsense instance i have and that might be a solution

moonman

Aug 12, 2023
Its really odd, its almost like proxmox is miss representing the CPU usage. Top in the CLI shows what would appear to be typical usage, but the WebGUi and Proxmox show 90-100%
View attachment 31337
That's about 82 - 88% total usage right there in the screenshot. Install htop to have a more visual representation per core, but yeah your screenshot is not much different from what proxmox shows in the GUI.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Just got the n305 from Taobao (within China) from CWWK store and looks to have a bit of a redesign
Includes two SATA ports in motherboard, and what looks like 2x USB 3 ports (haven't checked in os yet), and a USB C port.
Didn't have this on the Taobao listing so was a great surprise
That's the four nets elite version (sorry, I did not create this name...). In fact it is just a different version of the original, according to the table @ohm and myself posted earlier. The m.2 is just x1, PCIe lanes are used for eg usb 3.0. Check if your LAN ports run at full speed. @athurdent had some bandwith issues with it, got a newer BIOS from HUNSN sent him a new BIOS.

Reactions: korax and Stovar

abdullah

Jan 25, 2023
Just got the n305 from Taobao (within China) from CWWK store and looks to have a bit of a redesign
Includes two SATA ports in motherboard, and what looks like 2x USB 3 ports (haven't checked in os yet), and a USB C port.
Didn't have this on the Taobao listing so was a great surprise
Are they actually USB 3.x or just USB 2.0? I saw a video on YouTube where someone said although they are blue coloured ports, they are just USB 2.0.

• Wow
Reactions: Stovar and korax

korax

Aug 30, 2023
Are they actually USB 3.x or just USB 2.0? I saw a video on YouTube where someone said although they are blue coloured ports, they are just USB 2.0.
It looks like only the top blue one is usb3.1

# USB3 storage in Front top-right usb (blue)
root@pve:~# lsusb -t | egrep -i "storage" -B1
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 10000M
|__ Port 1: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M

# USB3 storage in Front bottom-right usb (blue)
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/12p, 480M
|__ Port 2: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

# USB3 storage in Front top-left usb (black)
|__ Port 3: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

# USB3 storage in Front bottom-left usb (black)
|__ Port 4: Dev 7, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

root@pve:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

root@pve:~# lsusb -t | grep xhci

Reactions: Stovar

moonman

Aug 12, 2023
so you create a virtual bridge inside say proxmox for every interface passing to opnsense ?
i've been struggling with getting my vm's to use dhcp and route through the virtual opnsense instance i have and that might be a solution
It's a bit more complicated in my setup, but essentially you only need to create 2 bridges. One is for physical interface where WAN comes in (and this bridge will be only used by opnsense). The second bridge is your LAN. If you have multiple ports like these little devices we are discussing here, then your LAN bridge will have all of the other physical ports not assigned to WAN as members, which will make proxmox handle all the switching.

1693533434361.png

In my setup I also have vlans, and proxmox handles that with ease. I've had this setup for around 3 years now and no issues.

I only have 150Mbit/s internet at this location and where the proxmox host is rooms away from where the internet connection is terminated so I used a tiny 5 port smart switch to split up WAN and LAN traffic into vlans and send it to proxmox host through a single cable in the wall.

1693534182051.png

Last edited:

korax

Aug 30, 2023
That's the four nets elite version (sorry, I did not create this name...). In fact it is just a different version of the original, according to the table @ohm and myself posted earlier. The m.2 is just x1, PCIe lanes are used for eg usb 3.0. Check if your LAN ports run at full speed. @athurdent had some bandwith issues with it, got a newer BIOS from HUNSN sent him a new BIOS.
Thanks, will have to do some testing.

So both m2 slots are x1 ?
My SSD looks like it is at x1 (I used the outside port labeled M2M2, the other is M2M1 which I haven't tried)

05:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: INNOGRIT Corporation Device 5236 (rev 01)

lspci -vv -s 05:00.0 | grep "LnkSta:"
LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (downgraded), Width x1 (downgraded)

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
So, I finally also got my N100 4-port (Hunsn RJ35) box. Ran a couple of tests.

CPU temp is fine - idling at 29-32°C in proxmox with opnsense & ubuntu vm (no real NIC activity though) and tops out around 60°C when under persistent full load (stress-ng matrix for multiple hours resulted in max temp of 61°C).
However running memtest86+ on the 32GB Crucial CT32G48C40S5 RAM results in overheating of the RAM itself (>90°C) and consequently errors in the memtest. I ordered a second unit to check if it is an issue with the RAM (but I dont think so).

Since CPU temps are fine, I wonder if repasting would help at all or if I need a RAM heatspreader and/or fan in the case. Pointing a household fan at the case reduced temps enough to have the memory not produce any errors anymore. Generally, I assume in my everyday use cases the RAM would become that hot anyhow but I would rather have a cooler RAM that lasts longer :)

Insights / help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
It looks like only the top blue one is usb3.1

# USB3 storage in Front top-right usb (blue)
|__ Port 1: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M

# USB3 storage in Front bottom-right usb (blue)
|__ Port 2: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

# USB3 storage in Front top-left usb (black)
|__ Port 3: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

# USB3 storage in Front bottom-left usb (black)
|__ Port 4: Dev 7, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

root@pve:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

root@pve:~# lsusb -t | grep xhci
Huh, weird. Swore they were all 2.0. I should check again.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Since CPU temps are fine, I wonder if repasting would help at all or if I need a RAM heatspreader and/or fan in the case. Pointing a household fan at the case reduced temps enough to have the memory not produce any errors anymore.
If you can solder, the easiest solution is to buy a 8cm or 12cm PWN fan (Noctua or a similar silent one), an esp8266, a 10k thermo resistor, a 12V -> 3V voltage converter and some cables. Splice the 12V input line of the router so you have 12V available for the fan, Use the 12V->3V converter to run the ESP on the same line, and then all you need are some lines of code to turn off/on the fan based on the measured temperature. Attach the thermo to the case and use it to turn on the fan if it gets hotter than what you define as critical temperature.

Bonus: add the ESp to your wifi network, add MQTT on it and push the temp. readings to a central server. Then you can monitor the temps.

Why not CPU temp instead? the case acts as big energy buffer. Just because the CPU goes up to 50°C or higher, you don't need a fan as long as the case is still cold

[edit]
Use an ATMega328 and not an ESP8266, because the PWN signal must be 5V (ATMega) and not 3.3V (ESP8266)

Last edited:

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
If you can solder, the easiest solution is to buy a 8cm or 12cm PWN fan (Noctua or a similar silent one), an esp8266, a 10k thermo resistor, a 12V -> 3V voltage converter and some cables. Splice the 12V input line of the router so you have 12V available for the fan, Use the 12V->3V converter to run the ESP on the same line, and then all you need are some lines of code to turn off/on the fan based on the measured temperature. Attach the thermo to the case and use it to turn on the fan if it gets hotter than what you define as critical temperature.

Bonus: add the ESp to your wifi network, add MQTT on it and push the temp. readings to a central server. Then you can monitor the temps.

Why not CPU temp instead? the case acts as big energy buffer. Just because the CPU goes up to 50°C or higher, you don't need a fan as long as the case is still cold

[edit]
Use an ATMega328 and not an ESP8266, because the PWN signal must be 5V (ATMega) and not 3.3V (ESP8266)
Love the idea but I will probably go with a more poor-man-approach :) I still have a Artic F12TC fan and a couple of 12v dc 2.1mm jack y-cables. So I will get a 12v dc 2.1mm to 4-pin fan adapter and hook up the and stick the temperature sensor to the fins of the case. Not as beautiful but should work :) Regardless, thanks for the idea - hopefully somebody else will build it :)

P.s.: the box is in the basement so noise isnt really an issue for me ...

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Love the idea but I will probably go with a more poor-man-approach :) I still have a Artic F12TC fan and a couple of 12v dc 2.1mm jack y-cables. So I will get a 12v dc 2.1mm to 4-pin fan adapter and hook up the and stick the temperature sensor to the fins of the case. Not as beautiful but should work :) Regardless, thanks for the idea - hopefully somebody else will build it :)

P.s.: the box is in the basement so noise isnt really an issue for me ...
We need to see those pictures when it's set up

Reactions: alexw1982

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Just bought the 6 port N100 from CWWK.net.. Anybody else buy this model yet?
No, but: read the thread about ideas of others (Proxmox, Opnsense, temperatures, speed, ...) abd add some comments, pictures and experience here. The next one will be happy about the information.