CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JdeFalconr

Jul 17, 2023
Here are the temperature readings for the last 12 hours of my two units for those curious. These are the i3-n305 version of CWWK and TopTon.
  • I have default BIOS, no changes besides boot order
  • Both are running proxmox with low intensity VMs
    • The TopTon unit has more VMs running on it
  • Both units have 2 NVMEs on them
    • The TopTon unit does have an NVME with a heatsink on it - this might be helpful
  • Both units are in an enclosed rack with only exhaust on top.
  • Room ambient temperatures are around 75-80 F
I'm sure I can lower the temperatures by tweaking the BIOS settings to make them more power efficient.
Please let me know if you have any questions or any input.

Thanks,

View attachment 30730
Thank you, I'm really glad you posted these. Even though we're using two different CPUs it's comforting to know my temps aren't outrageous based on ambient temperature.

Reactions: idle_user

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
on amazon is only 5dollars more to get n200 , and i could use it for other vms
For a $5 difference, no reason not to. Just keep in mind that it might run a bit hotter than the n100.
But definitely worth the $5 difference if you're okay with that.

Donut7059

Jul 25, 2023
For a $5 difference, no reason not to. Just keep in mind that it might run a bit hotter than the n100.
But definitely worth the $5 difference if you're okay with that.
yeah im going to order the n200, might get the topton n305 on ali too and just compare. doesnt hurt to have two small proxmox boxes

NoNamesLeft

Jul 14, 2023
Did you notice anything funny going on with the device while it was running the tests? Just trying to make an informed decision. Thinking between this, a mikrotik, or a Unifi for the house.
Read the thread. He had a slow port that was fixed with a bios update.

MajorPayneDOF

Aug 3, 2023
Read the thread. He had a slow port that was fixed with a bios update.
I did read the thread he linked and did not see where he stated he had a slow port which was fixed with a bios update and was inquiring if there was anything else he noticed when running the test. things like it jumping to high CPU usage, heat skyrocketed, major packet loss

athurdent

Jul 6, 2023
Did you notice anything funny going on with the device while it was running the tests? Just trying to make an informed decision. Thinking between this, a mikrotik, or a Unifi for the house.
BIOS update only fixed port 1 slowness, the other 3 were fine all along.
Regarding the tests, all was well. I also ran iperf3 for 10 minutes up & down, with Zenarmor active, no problems.
I have been using the N100 as my work from home firewall since I got it. No quirks noticed.
Also have the UDM SE as the main firewall for the home, with only DPI that one does 10G. IPS/IDS around 3.5G.

Reactions: Stovar

MajorPayneDOF

Aug 3, 2023
BIOS update only fixed port 1 slowness, the other 3 were fine all along.
Regarding the tests, all was well. I also ran iperf3 for 10 minutes up & down, with Zenarmor active, no problems.
I have been using the N100 as my work from home firewall since I got it. No quirks noticed.
Also have the UDM SE as the main firewall for the home, with only DPI that one does 10G. IPS/IDS around 3.5G.
As a fellow Ubiquiti user would you move to just the N100 system or stick with the UDM SE. The fact that I have 2gbs internet now is forcing me to sell my edge routers. It's hard to justify to the wife $500 for "just a router" as see says.. Hence why looking at other solutions.

GammelFar

Jun 27, 2023
Does any know where to get another of those special sata cables?. My box has to sata connectors by came whith only one cable.

athurdent

Jul 6, 2023
As a fellow Ubiquiti user would you move to just the N100 system or stick with the UDM SE. The fact that I have 2gbs internet now is forcing me to sell my edge routers. It's hard to justify to the wife $500 for "just a router" as see says.. Hence why looking at other solutions.
It depends, the UDM is not just a router. You could also sell your wife surveillance, etc :)

I like the UDM because it neatly integrates into the UniFi ecosystem. It does not have a nerd knob for everything though, UniFi is more Apple-like, using a one-button approach for almost everything. E.g. Suricata on the UDM is a single checkbox, on the OPNsense there's plenty of configuration.

N100 with an OPNsense VM has a lot more options/firewall functions/plugins. And if you run Proxmox on it, you can also spin up additional VMs with HomeBridge etc.

In the end, it depends on your needs...

Reactions: MajorPayneDOF

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Hi everyone, just wanted to advise everyone to watch your NVMe temps too.

I noticed my CWWK unit's main NVMe was running hotter than expected.
As mentioned in a previous comment, TopTon unit has an NVMe with a heatsink on it, so no issues there, but the one in the CWWK box did not.

These are my temp results. A heatsink definitely helps with these small boxes.

1691217599271.png

Reactions: Stovar and lucker

athurdent

Jul 6, 2023
Hi everyone, just wanted to advise everyone to watch your NVMe temps too.

I noticed my CWWK unit's main NVMe was running hotter than expected.
As mentioned in a previous comment, TopTon unit has an NVMe with a heatsink on it, so no issues there, but the one in the CWWK box did not.

These are my temp results. A heatsink definitely helps with these small boxes.

View attachment 30759
Hmm, these are desktop devices.
I would not put them in a rack that is not effectively cooled (I would not put anything in such rack TBH :) ).
You can aways cool the case with a USB HiFi rack fan on top, or put in a fan.

Reactions: Stovar

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Hmm, these are desktop devices.
I would not put them in a rack that is not effectively cooled (I would not put anything in such rack TBH :) ).
You can aways cool the case with a USB HiFi rack fan on top, or put in a fan.
Thanks. I do have fans ontop of both units and rack already and have alerts set for if anything inside exceeds 77C.
It also gets similar temps when outside the rack; which is why I provided the section with temps with a fan blowing directly onto it. There's lots of room in the enclosure, so I'm not too worried about the unit in general as the CPU reads under 50C.

I thought the NVMe heatsink temperature difference was impressive. I'm getting similar temps, if not better, compared to having a massive fan blowing directly on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: athurdent