CWWK/Topton/ N95/N100/N200/N305 quad NIC router 5 BIOS-error-beeps and black screen error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ITPro44

Nov 17, 2022
Looking back, I realize I should have also given credit to @flips33 for persisting that memory is a key issue here. Thanks!

After getting proxmox installed, and knowing I had a system that was booting properly, I put the crucial memory back in, to see if proxmox would boot and if I could access it from a webpage - no go. I didn't not get a beep when powered on and, after waiting 4min, I could still not access proxmox from the web page. I put the GSkill ram back in and get a single beep on power, then Proxmox is online within 30sec. From this, I conclude that the ram is my main issue.

That said, even with the proper RAM, HDMI to HDMI doesn't work. And then there is the oddity of even DP to DP didn't work for me until I tried HDMI to DP. I'd like to chalk this up to a fluke, or user error, but I mention it because of the overall flakiness of this system and just in case someone else experienced the same.

Bios update would be nice. CWWK support has a public facing site with downloads that were posted at recently as Nov 2023, but I can't make heads or tails of it. 畅网官方网盘

I submitted a support request to CWWK on this topic several days ago but never heard back

Here are the two memory modules in play for me. Gkill works, Crucial doesn't.
Gkill works, Crucial doesn't.

On a few slightly off topic notes:

ITPro44

Nov 17, 2022
so, I tried a little harder to get the bios file to work.

I downloaded the first file, from the link above used rufus to create a bootable ISO, selected the USB at bootup. This is what I got. If someone wants to build upon this that would be great, but I'm done messing with this thing. sucked more time then I was hoping.

pic3.jpg

Reactions: Stovar

buldezir

Feb 2, 2024
Wow! thanks for info, i had memory troubles with my n100 6nic router.

initially i got samsung 32gb, dualrank (no signs of life on device, though same memory worked on my friends n100 4nic router),
then i tried crucial 16gb, same as ITPro44 (device booted, but very unstable, basically unusable)
then i got hynix 8gb, for free just to test system (worked perfectly, but 8gb is very sad)
and finaly!!! g-skill 16gb, almost like as ITPro44, Ripjaws, but 4800 and it worked!!

I hope future owners will find this thread. dont experiment with memory, just go for 16gb Ripjaws.

askisunny

Mar 14, 2024
Got 2 of these CWWK-NAS n100s for headless. One for 1U opnsense, beeped within a second with Team Elite TED58G4800C40D-S016 8GB RAM. Stable.

The other one... 2U for NAS server. Connected to SAS backplate, 2x4tb HDDs, 1TB m.2 samsung, 32GB 5200 RAM Team vulcan FLBD532G5200HC38-S01. Been a struggle. hangs randomly, doesn't post randomly, random memtest errors (both location of errors and time of errors. Sometimes perfect test, other times errors in certain addresses, then other addresses). Needed 32GB for ZFS and server apps.
Bios misreads memory timings. No possibility to change mem voltage or timings (greyed out). After playing around for a few days, limited memory frequency to 4800. Unlike previously, won't even post. Then removed HDMI and USB mouse transmitter, posted after a few minutes. However, I attempted to remove all but LAN and power prior to this event and though alleviated crashes, did not resolve them.

There was a recent bios release (3/5) but considering crashes even while being in BIOS, will likely wait until somewhat stable to avoid bricking before attempting BIOS.

CWWK and other manufacturers know what this type of board is slated to function as. Thus the "NAS" in the name. Yet, the most important aspect of a NAS, stability, has been ignored. Lost a bunch of crucial data on a mirror ZFS due to unrecoverable corruption after the NAS crashed while making a backup.

UPDATE: Good news - updated BIOS successfully. Bad news - won't even post. Waited overall for more than hour with/without hdmi. Will try to reset CMOS later on and if doesn't work, take the RAM from other server.

UPDATE 2: purchased G.skill ripjaw 16gb 4800, put it in, nothing for 10 minutes. Disconnected from power supply, powered on again, beeped and posted after about two minutes. Waiting for 32gb 4800 ripjaw to arrive next week. Gonna let it run for a bit before trying with an HDMI dongle for GPU passthrough. Without it, a pain to pass through the GPU.

LAST UPDATE: G.skill 32gb 4800 placed instead of 16gb, took about a minute to hear post beep. Thereafter, posts immediately after rebooting/powering on. Tried different HDMI monitors / dongles, changed nothing so not sure HDMI ever had anything to do with computer crashing and not posting. Seems to have been a RAM incompatibility.

Probably last time purchasing CWWK or any of Chinese brand of similar caliber for a serious application. Would rather get easily available 65w tdp CPU and motherboard from reputable company and pay $30-50 more ((i3-12100+ ASrock motherboard) than have to spend hours on making a server post then hoping to won't crash and corrupt data irreversibly again. Differnce between 6w tdp and 65w tdp yearly cost is $10-$20, practically shouldn't even be a consideration.

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019

askisunny

Mar 14, 2024
Presumably he referred to the fact that it doesn't officially support more than 16 GB of RAM, even though it seems to work fine in most cases.

Probably, but many, as you implied, stated that 32gb working and stable, including motherboard makers in official compatibility lists.

askisunny

Mar 14, 2024
so, I tried a little harder to get the bios file to work.

I downloaded the first file, from the link above used rufus to create a bootable ISO, selected the USB at bootup. This is what I got. If someone wants to build upon this that would be great, but I'm done messing with this thing. sucked more time then I was hoping.

View attachment 34227
try:
cd \EFI
1.nsh (and if that doesn't work, just "1")

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Probably, but many, as you implied, stated that 32gb working and stable, including motherboard makers in official compatibility lists.
Yes, I'd say that if it's related to RAM, it's more likely that the computer is fuzzy about compatibility (or timings) than that it has a problem with the total size.

Reactions: askisunny

askisunny

Mar 14, 2024
As mentioned it only officially supports 16Gb so you take a chance on it working.
Just because some companies BIOS has been lucky enough for it to work doesn't mean they all will.
It's not the bios that tolerates RAM but rather cpu and motherboard architecture such as RAM controller etc but regardless, fact of matter is that it can work. It is a risk like many relatively new manufacturers/tech, but please educate us regarding a better alternative with 4x2.5gbe, 6xsata, 2xm.2, onboard wireless and BT, for a total system draw of approximately 30-40w, at less than $180.

It is likely an incompatible RAM, which happened to me a bunch, and that requires switching to a different stick. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: blunden