CWWK/Topton/ N95/N100/N200/N305 quad NIC router 5 BIOS-error-beeps and black screen error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
If nobody with this issue is even willling to say what memory module they are using then I give up.
The info isn't relevant. Either you have a memory module which is not detected at all or a module with errors, and your system doesn't boot or is instable, or you have a working one. I never had the problem that RAM was the reason for a monitor not being detected during boot time, and I and playing around with PCs since the i386 was brand new.

It either is a BIOS problem and the code used to initiate the communication with at least some versions of HDMI monitors doesn't work, or a hardware problem. I also had similar issues with mobile phones /chargers not being able to communicate the charging method, resulting in using the default 5V instead of any kind of fast charging.

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
I have conceded several times that it might not be relevent. But having less data points is the most important thing right? Since you brought it up, I've been working with computers longer than you.

Good luck.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Look @flips33 , I've been there. It is a scary thought, I know. I worked around 30 years in IT diagnostics in very different and sometimes niche sections. I, too, tried to find justification for my ideas. But in the end I had to realize that with that strategy I just wasted my time and, deliberated or not, closed my mind to solutions openly available. Like I said, I've been there.

Putting memtest on a stick and checking is a thing of half an hour, maybe an hour. And it really proofs something working or not. Hardware only works correctly if the firmware detects it correctly. There are no cases where that is not so.

Please try, at least try, to change your point of view. Because you are right with one thing in particular: we have to find a solution or otherwise this box will be a headless router only. Lowering its value. If that is OK with you, like it is OK with Becks, that is fine. I try to find a solution for myself too. But it would be easier and nicer if we find a point of cooperation here, without running into dead-ends just because we find one idea comfortable to keep. All I ask for is an open mind.

Help yourself and run memtest on a stick or micro-sd memcard. And if the test runs OK, value that and then deliberately decide to move on.

Support from Topton on Aliexpress does not answer me any more. They read my message and shrugged it off. Now I think I involve Aliexpress and ask for a partially refund (because a tracked return delivery costs 43€ to China from where I live.
I asked for 125€ refund only and sent them the video above plus a screenshot from the adpage, where dual display output is advertised.

This is the RAM-Chip I use:
DDR5-RAM-N200.jpg

Last edited:

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
If you're an experienced diagnostician, and you don't think it's useful to take a minute to look for commonality in a subset of computers that display identical, intermittent, obscure behaviour - then I can't help you. Arthur Conan Doyle would be disappointed in this thread.

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
Look @flips33
Either you have a memory module which is not detected at all or a module with errors, and your system doesn't boot or is instable, or you have a working one.
Really? Here's an intemittent POST issue (sound familiar?) even though memory tests as working perfectly and is completely stable once booted successfully.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/cfziac
Look @flips33
Putting memtest on a stick and checking is a thing of half an hour, maybe an hour. And it really proofs something working or not.
It's a data point, it doesn't prove anything. When it comes to computers, two otherwise working pieces of hardware can have intermittent failures in particular situations (like during POST) that aren't observed in other situations (post OS boot). Again, see above for an example.

For what it's worth I don't even think it's a memory compatibility issue at this point as this user was kind enough to post the memory he is using - same module as myself:

As far accusations of being closed minded or having cognitive biases go, you should perhaps engage in some self-reflection. All I asked for was a data point to try to assist in discovering a pattern, if one even exists. If anyone has been "closed minded to solutions openly available", it isn't me.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Thank you for turning this into a troll-thread. I will leave this open for you to get off.

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I get the same warning beeps without a display plugged in but it boots OK so I guess it is related to the console.
I only ever used HDMI during setup.

I have a 16Gb stick of Crucial RAM and do not think it is related.

Reactions: RevAngel

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Just wanted to state that Topton found no solution for my "black screen" problem. It might depend on the monitors I use. A NO for pure HDMI monitors, a yes for monitors that have compatibility over 1.2 DP version. I got half the systems cost refunded.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
I also could try this, but....

Image 299.png

... this box is so stable, runs cold, draws almost no energy... - I am glad to have it and can accept the little flaw with the HDMI bug.

Reactions: RevAngel

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Yeah. Probably the same reason and why they did not test or find it earlier themselves. Well, at least as a headless box I now have a N200 4NIC router for 124€.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
I guess Topton can expect an influx of people who now have this issue :rolleyes:
I worked in a lab for testing and certifying network and communication devices a couple of years. Firmware was always the fail-point for most devices, that are highly specialized and meant for the "pro" network or net-border/edge domain. Most companies calculate with that in mind.

So my peace of conscience is not in danger, I guess. Putting a product to market with a explicit advertised feature of two working monitor outputs, and then not testing or ignoring that this feature is not working is calculated balsieness imo. They probably spend what they didn't invest in the first place.

Last edited:

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I worked in a lab for testing and certifying network and communication devices a couple of years. Firmware was always the fail-point for most devices, that are highly specialized and meant for the "pro" network or net-border/edge domain. Most companies calculate with that in mind.

So my peace of conscience is not in danger, I guess. Putting a product to market with a explicit advertised feature of two working monitor outputs, and then not testing or ignoring that this feature is not working is calculated balsieness imo. They probably spend what they didn't invest in the first place.
No, of course. You had an issue, reported it and they offered a resolution albeit a financial one.

My comment is that there will no doubt be a number of people who will use this as an attempt to save some money.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
My comment is that there will no doubt be a number of people who will use this as an attempt to save some money.
Either that, or Topton calculates themselves to a solution for the problem. But my guess would be that this is far from an outcry. People tend to love their peace of mind more than even money.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
I think I learned something today: do not buy ANYTHING over Aliexpress, and do not trust any product description from Chinese products. Also, returning a product costs 43€ to china, a significant loss for a 250€ product, just to get a return.

So, Topton dragged the return process out. They always waited out the 72 hour period and answered in the last 1 or 2 hours, before that period ran out, for their answer. They asked for ridiculous extra proofs, just to drag the time out. That lead to a "return product at your own cost" answer from Aliexpress that could not be changed any more. And since the dragged out return period is now over, I cannot even let Aliexpress help me any more. Nice! And of course no other solution from Topton, just strange answers right out of the bullshit-lottery.

So these Topton Mini-PC 's are really headless usable only for me, or any user. Trying to connect them to an HDMI monitor is not possible. And now I can decide to either use the PC as headless router only or buy a new monitor with a display-port connection.

This was my last shopping experience over Aliexpress. Every second product I bought there had issues or were completely unusable or just the wrong (and of course a cheap) product.

That also counts for this N200 box or any other product from Topton. Never again.

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I think I learned something today: do not buy ANYTHING over Aliexpress, and do not trust any product description from Chinese products. Also, returning a product costs 43€ to china, a significant loss for a 250€ product, just to get a return.

So, Topton dragged the return process out. They always waited out the 72 hour period and answered in the last 1 or 2 hours, before that period ran out, for their answer. They asked for ridiculous extra proofs, just to drag the time out. That lead to a "return product at your own cost" answer from Aliexpress that could not be changed any more. And since the dragged out return period is now over, I cannot even let Aliexpress help me any more. Nice! And of course no other solution from Topton, just strange answers right out of the bullshit-lottery.

So these Topton Mini-PC 's are really headless usable only for me, or any user. Trying to connect them to an HDMI monitor is not possible. And now I can decide to either use the PC as headless router only or buy a new monitor with a display-port connection.

This was my last shopping experience over Aliexpress. Every second product I bought there had issues or were completely unusable or just the wrong (and of course a cheap) product.

That also counts for this N200 box or any other product from Topton. Never again.
Mine works OK with a monitor connected via HDMI.
You could try connecting to a TV or there are passive DP to HDMI adapters and HDMI to DVI.
It is likely an incompatibility with your specific monitor.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Mine works OK with a monitor connected via HDMI.
You could try connecting to a TV or there are passive DP to HDMI adapters and HDMI to DVI.
It is likely an incompatibility with your specific monitor.
Hmm. I did that already with 3 different monitors, 8 different cables and 2 DP-2-HDMI adapters. Seems like they all are to different degrees incompatible. One of the monitors works ONCE, when it is turned on recently. But stops working if I use power saving monitor-turn-off or turn the monitor off and on again, or remove the cable. Black screen, system cold-boot needed to fix the issue. It even "crashes" the monitor (no guy, LED or buttons working any more) when it is used by another PC before and then used by the Topton PC - in that case only unplugging it from power makes the monitor usable again.
I could try the DVI port of my oldest monitor, maybe I get lucky.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Wow, I was not expecting this: connecting my Monitor with at HDMI-to-DVI-D cable worked!