CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
That's quite a Frankenstein there... ;-) is passive cooling so bad in this case ? Is it really necessary? Is there no cutout in bottomplate to mount a small fan inside the case ?
I'm on 20 watts at idle. As ''fta'' says the case dissipates well of her. mine was a whim.
But I have spikes when I run some big load on one vm or turn on multiple vm at the same time.
It depends on what you use it for, if you use only the firewall and some docker that's fine.

The passive cooling in this one is actually pretty good. IIRC, my testing showed it could dissipate around 27W without a fan. With a fan on top it can dissipate around 47W. For reference, mine runs about 15W when doing a 1Gb/s download with NAT and CAKE traffic shaping.
I'm at 20 watts with these services
-OPNsense (3vlan,zenarmor)
-debian container with 10 docker
-pihole container

until 35/37watt when doing 1Gb/s speedtest with OPNsense (with zenarmor)

fta

Feb 19, 2017
I'm at 20 watts with these services
-OPNsense (3vlan,zenarmor)
-debian container with 10 docker
-pihole container

until 35/37watt when doing 1Gb/s speedtest with OPNsense (with zenarmor)
I'm guessing your numbers are at the wall. Mine are what the CPU is reporting as its power consumption. The max TDP is 55W so a dissipation of 47W is pretty close to allowing full use of the CPU indefinitely. At 55W it draws around 90W at the wall if memory serves.

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
I'm guessing your numbers are at the wall. Mine are what the CPU is reporting as its power consumption. The max TDP is 55W so a dissipation of 47W is pretty close to allowing full use of the CPU indefinitely. At 55W it draws around 90W at the wall if memory serves.
Exactly, I measure using a wattmeter on the wall.
Can I ask you how you measure the watts on the CPU?
so I can make a comparison with you!
thanks in advance!

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
ok thanKs for the info. i installed netdata on proxmox, and this below is the stats of watt about che cpu.
I don't understand if the correct graph is the one above or the one below.
anyway here are my stats!
chrome_6LVy7YdtXl.png

fta

Feb 19, 2017
ok thanKs for the info. i installed netdata on proxmox, and this below is the stats of watt about che cpu.
I don't understand if the correct graph is the one above or the one below.
anyway here are my stats!
View attachment 32695
The top one is your package power so it’s the main one you care about. You can see in your first spike it went up 13-14W. That’s on par with what I get when doing a 1Gb/s download with NAT and CAKE shaping.

Reactions: enzotekk

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
@fta at the top the spike is 18watt right? it is at the bottom that the spike is 14. So that means my peak consumption on the speedtest is 18watts right?

Since I added the Noctua 140mm fan the processor temperature has dropped by about ~6 degrees. I went from 31 degrees on average to about 25 degrees at idle.

The hottest thing for now is the ssd which is without a heatsink.
I already have a hotfix in mind that I have scheduled in the next few days/weeks.
chrome_Mmc3S8aNFL.png

fta

Feb 19, 2017
at the top the spike is 18watt right? it is at the bottom that the spike is 14. So that means my peak consumption on the speedtest is 18watts right?
You're at ~3W at idle. The peak is ~17W so your speedtest adds 14W.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
By the way, the changwang.com seems that it was hacked. Some news posts were replaced by some non-relative articles.
Please check all the checksums of the bios downloaded in recent 2-3 months.

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
I put some small heat sinks on the nvme SSD, now the situation has improved.
before I had more than 70 degrees peak, now I have 53 degrees peak.chrome_O1eNcATmyF.png
I also modified the small closed slot by inserting a grille to give the SSD more airflow
photo_2023-11-13_21-48-24.jpgphoto_2023-11-13_21-48-24 (2).jpg

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
How about using Sata SSD as the boot drive of pfSense/OPNSense?
I think the 8010 fan is for cooling the nvme ssd and other stuffs on the motherboard only. If we use a sata ssd, lesser heat, do we still need to install an 8010 fan on the bottom?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Currently the stock Dajing 60w power supply, pentium 8505.

How about if I use a 12v output adapter?
Like MeanWell GST90A12-P1M?

I searched this thread, @fta mentioned GST90A19-P1M and GST90A15-P1M, 19v and 15v.

MeanWell's official data sheet for GST90A series:

GST120A series data sheet:

Update:
I read Patrick's review again, totally agree with his title, "the fanless king". Without the on-the-top fan and the bottom 8010 fan, the highest temperature never over 85C.

Last edited:

Jacen Li

Jun 8, 2019
Hi, I came across this thread while trying to unlock some options on my genmachine i5-1235u box. Unfortunately, it has a different board than the CWWK stuff, so I tried modifying the bios myself. I have also found TDC throttling at ~15-20W, even though the box comes with a PL1 of 55W and a PL2 of 45W stock from factory. I have tried using the UEFI editor tool to unlock menus by removing the suppress if commands, flashing, and swapping the menus in the advanced to CPU Power & Performance. However, when I select the CPU VR settings menu in the bios, the bios freezes, and I have to restart. Have you encountered similar problems while modifying the bios of the CWWK box?

fta

Feb 19, 2017
Hi, I came across this thread while trying to unlock some options on my genmachine i5-1235u box. Unfortunately, it has a different board than the CWWK stuff, so I tried modifying the bios myself. I have also found TDC throttling at ~15-20W, even though the box comes with a PL1 of 55W and a PL2 of 45W stock from factory. I have tried using the UEFI editor tool to unlock menus by removing the suppress if commands, flashing, and swapping the menus in the advanced to CPU Power & Performance. However, when I select the CPU VR settings menu in the bios, the bios freezes, and I have to restart. Have you encountered similar problems while modifying the bios of the CWWK box?
Is it an AMI BIOS? If it is, tell me where to download it, and I might be able to get you set up.

Reactions: slidermike

pawasi

May 3, 2023
Hi, I have one question, where in bios can I find option responsible for secure boot?

Darkang

Dec 14, 2022
Does those systems, with i3/i5 CPUs supports VT-d by BIOS/mainboard?
VTx should be supported by system/BIOS also CPUs supports VT-d.
I would like to passtrough iGPU to VM in Proxmox and ouput to HDMI/DP - anyone tried that?
Hi ,
This post is a bit old but worth sharing this update.
I followed this guide and got the GPU (Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]) passthrough working fine after several attempts on my U i5-1234U unit with unlocked Bios.
I am using the latest version of Proxmox 8.1.3 and pinned the kernel 6.5.11-4-pve. I was able to get 7 GPU VFs (virtual functions) , some of them are used in Win11 VMs.
The main issue that I have faced was this limitation " i915 0000:00:02.0: not enough MMIO resources for SR-IOV". After trying a lot of ideas from different forums, I found out how to allocate more memory to MMIO in this Bios section Chipset -> System Agent (SA) configuration -> Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment [Enabled].

Regards

Reactions: stegg

MBehr

Sep 4, 2023
Just received my i5-1235U and am getting ready to add memory and drives and noticed mine is a CW-MBX-AD13.5 - I don't see any BIOS's for this one on CWWK's support site - but I'll check what's on this as soon as I get everything installed. Anyone else running this MB version?

IMG_1322 copy.jpg