CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
The LED of the power butto turns on an it beeps once like it always did. On the backside the red LED turns on.
If i use one of the network ports they start to blink as well.
I could try the display port but i don't have a USB-C monitor.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
yeah give the display port a try.
usb-c is also displayport, so you could try a usb-c to displayport adapter.
but maybe displayport will already give a picture
otherwise the response of the computer seems to be normal.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
Tried a Displayport to HDMI cable now and a USB-C connection with an app to my adnroid tablet nothing delivers a picture.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
what hardware components are installed in the pc right now?

can you remove everything besides 1 memory module and 1 nvme-disk (in case you had multiple other disks)?

you can also test if the pc responds differently without any memory.
the beeping should change (though i never tried that with my pc).

one other thing you could at least try is to check what happens if you try to boot the pc from some usb linux live iso (ubuntu for example).
when there is no OS on any disk it should automatically boot from any attached usb media if im not mistaken.

im sorry if this isnt helping, but im just putting ideas out there that might give us an idea what might be wrong here.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
Right now there are 2 memory modules in, i tried toremove one, maybe i try the other one and none.
I tired with a nvme disk in both slots and right now a ssd is connected but tried without it too.
I will test the USB Linux next.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
the reason why im asking for usb linux is that if it boots (even without any display) it should draw an ip address from an existing dhcp server.
that would tell us at least if just the display output is broken or if the whole thing really doesnt do anything anymore.

if just the display is broken then there might be some use for it depending on what you wanted to use it for originally.
the device has a com-port-header on the mainboard.
im not sure if console-redirection to serial port is configured by default, but that would be at least a chance to do anything with the device.

also if the device still boots, you can attempt to reflash the device with any of the other bioses in this thread and see if anything changes.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
I have to correct myself in one part since i answered from work. When i put the PSU in the PC starts on its own with a clicking sound, then there is another clicking but no beep. (But the starting upon putting the PSU is a BIOS feature is it not?).
Removing both memories doesn't change any sound/behavior.
On the SSD is a Ubuntu installation, tried the USB stick from that installation too but without any indication it draws an IP adress in my fritz box.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
im not sure if all the units necessarily beep. i think we had a few people in this thread where the unit doesnt even have the piezo-speaker.
i do not remember hearing any clicking when powering it on though.

the powering on thing is a setting in the bios as far as i remember (something about behaviour after power loss in the power settings).

im running out of ideas sadly.
are you using the original powerbrick it came with?
would you have another one that might be compatible, to test if this is maybe power-related?
other than that im at a loss here.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
The clicking was there from the start even before i tried the BIOS update, not sure if there was a beep. I will take a picture later and maybe an audio.
I use the delivered one and don't think i got one at hand to replace it.

Can i just use the original BIOS without overriding it with the altered one to try flashing it? Without screen how would i do that?

Thanks for the help so far

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
you can remove all disks from the machine and connect only the bootable usb stick with the bios on it.
the machine should boot from it and do its thing (if it actually boots).

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
you can remove all disks from the machine and connect only the bootable usb stick with the bios on it.
the machine should boot from it and do its thing (if it actually boots).
Since the system restarts after the BIOS update how do i know when it is finished without getting a picture, won't it loop if i let the stick in?

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
Since the system restarts after the BIOS update how do i know when it is finished without getting a picture, won't it loop if i let the stick in?
thats true.
my hope was that the reflashing of the bios brings video output back.

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
First system i bricked, don't even know what i did wrong...
Dunno if i should try the support and play stupid since it is kinda my own fault, even though the flash went trough without problems.
Would it be possible to locate and replace the BIOS chip?

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
i would definitely contact support.
tell them, that it was working for a short time and then stopped.
i would tell them the symptoms it has now and ask for help.

edit: without telling them you bricked it with bios update of course ;)

Last edited:

Tiraga

Nov 26, 2023
Ok, they want me to send it back. Guess that will take some time, hopefully i get a replacment or fixed one.

Arnavisca

May 14, 2023
Sorry for bad english.

Hello. I have a Topton device where I have two nvme drives ( 2x Samsung 980 500GB ). One is connected normally and the other via an adapter to the wifi module. I have a zfs raid 1 filesystem. I have very high I/O. More than 8%. And the temperatures of the disks are 60 C and the controllers more than 85 C. Is this a normal state?

When I have only one drive plugged in I get temps around 45 C and the controller 60 C and I/O is under 2%.
Snímek obrazovky 2024-03-18 073122.png

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
turn off the internal sd-card reader.
it introduces 1-2% of io delay for no reason.

you can find it with lsblck
if you dont have any sata-drives in the system its most likely /dev/sda.
if there are sata drives in the system it will be something else.

the command to disable it until reboot is:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/block/sdc/device/delete
you can make this change permanent by adding the following commain to your crontab:

Code:
@reboot root /usr/bin/echo 1 > /sys/block/sdc/device/delete 2>&1
in my case its sdc, in your case the command may need to be adjusted to sda or whatever devicename the sd-card reader has.

the other thing is that you use zfs on cheap consumer ssds.
this will cause 2 things.

first it will make the ssds really slow due to the fact that virtualisation uses primarily sync-writes and those cannot be cached or optimized on consumer drives due to their lack of power loss protection.

second it will likely destroy the drives within an unreasonably short amount of time due to exceeding the write endurance of the drives (made even worse by the lack of PLP, which prevents caching and optimization before writing data to the flash).
this causes high write amplification of up to 30:1, meaning that for every GB of data written to the disk up to 30 GB of data will actually be written to the physical medium.

disks with PLP dont have this issue, because they can cache and optimize sync writes due to the condensators (PLP) built into the ssd, which guarantee, that cached data can be safely written to the disk.

another factor for io-delay of course is how io-intensive the vms are which you are deploying on proxmox.
for me io-delay is usually like this:
1710766576980.png

but i dont have any heavy io on the disks. 2 windows vms, 6 linux-vms and 7 containers, all relatively idle.
if you deploy databases with lots of transaction going on then of course io-wait will go up.

you could look up with iotop, which process is causing the most io on your system.
on my machine it looks like this:
1710766761360.png
in my case my server2022 is causing the most io, because it has mssql and veeam backup and replication running as services.
for you it maybe something entirely different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatever