1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom storage plugins for Proxmox

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by _alex, Dec 28, 2016.

1. _alex

_alex Active Member

hi,
    do you have any lun's on your scst ?

the plugin should create lun's on also created zvols/datasets if you add volumes via proxmox.
    Therefore an Target with empty lun 0 needs to be present and confgured in storage.cfg

didn't use scstadmin as it's just one more thing between the plugin and scst sysfs that can break/change ;) (guess scstadmin is just a cli for sysfs in the end)
    imho the sysfs is more stable and also clear to use.

can have a closer look/help more from monday on, will be skiing for some days.

2. _alex

_alex Active Member

@nephri how are you doing with FreeNAS ? have you put it in production?
    i have scst Running on my playground-Cluster and also asked for inclusion of parts of the changes in pve on the devel-list. this should be possible if it's reasonable. will need to setup a proper perl/pve Development environment and re-work parts to supply clean patch-series. just haven't found enough time as my regular work was quite demanding during the last weeks :(
    but will definitely come back to this with a day or two to finish/cleanup and submitt patches for qemu-server for clones and the main zfs-plugin to support cloning and auth.

3. dbo

dbo New Member

Yes, in fact there are already 16 luns. They are used by iscsi virtio disks devices on my pve servers. As it is a production server, I don't want to break it, so I didn't try creating new luns. Will test on another target...

In fact scstadmin is a little more than a simple cli. It has some logic inside. My first tought was to avoid duplicating it, but maybe I'm wrong :)

4. _alex

_alex Active Member

yes, there is somewhere a scst Perl Lib (locate / find should get it quite fast), that i guess is used by scstadmin. that would be really handy to use ;)

i would absolutely not use it on a box that has production volumes, as it might create duplicate datasets. i thought about putting another production host on my playground and then saw the urgent need to prefix created volumes with the Cluster-Name or something unique ;)

for trial, its maybe best to setup a vm with scst and watch what happens there / what datasets on zfs and devices/lun's in scst are created.

5. Filip Van Ham

Filip Van Ham New Member

Any updates on including this in pve releases?

6. _alex

_alex Active Member

Hi Filip,
    and welcome to the STH Forums.

Regarding your Question, I'm not currently planning this.
    Basically, i gave up on FreeNAS as i dont't use it and went into interesting issues that resulted in the VM's going ro when the config of FreeNAS is changed via API. Guess this is because the target is restarted and not reloaded in most of the cases.

What i use in lab's currently is SCST on ESOS as a target, this works quite well, and if i find time i do some improvement on it, too.
    One 'problem' is that a small change in QemuServer.pm would be necessary to be able to clone from a snapshot, what is a quite cool feature for doing backups. (snapshot running, create a clone from this snap, backup the clone or use it for diagnostics)

I just don't have the time to prepare proper patches that would maybe be accepted.
    Also some parts are still missing, like resizing, defining peers of ZFS arrays that could do send/receive between each other (that would mean: create a clone from Snapshot on Array A on Array B) and most important IB-Support.
    Another fact is that imho it's currently impossible to inject dialogs into the pve gui from custom storage plugins, what would be nice.

If you're interested in my work against SCST so far feel free to PM, i'm ok with sharing and giving some assistance with setup. But be aware that i'd currently not encourage anyone to use this in production ;)

Alex

Edit: i guess FreeNAS might be integrated by proxmox in one of the next releases, if i remember right from skimming the mailing list. So if it's about FreeNAS you could find something there.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017