CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 & IPMI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I'm attempting to update one of my JBOD chassis by upgrading from a Supermicro CB2 to CB3 power board so I can better control the fans in this chassis. After connecting an Ethernet cable from my switch to the CB3 I saw the IP Address assigned via DHCP by my router (Amplifi HD) and I then used my router app to assign a static IP (192.168.0.29).

I then attempted to navigate to the IPMI webpage via the 192.168.0.29 IP address, but my browser just timed out. I also tried the discovery feature in the IPMIView tool, but it only found the IPMI IP's for 2 other chassis in my network.

I' had assumed that if the IPMI port for the CB3 was on showing my network that I'd be able to easily open the login webpage via it's IP address, but I'm obviously missing something. Anyone have any ideas on what's happening or what I could try?

Last edited:

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
@Stankyjawnz, thanks for the idea to reset it to it's default config/IP as this ended up allowing me to get this working. In case anyone experiences this issue, and comes across this post, this is what I did...
  • Moved Jumper 7 (JP7) from pins 2-3 (which is static/DHCP) to pins 1-2 (which is factory mode with IP 192.168.1.99)
  • Unplugged power to my JBOD chassis and then plugged it back in and kept my chassis/power board in offline power mode
  • Setup hardcoded IP of 192.168.1.100 on my laptop Ethernet port (with gateway of 255.255.255.0)
  • Direct connected an ethernet cable from the laptop to the CB3 board
  • Opened a browser on the laptop and navigated to 192.168.1.99 which opened the IPMI login webpage
  • After logging in, I upgraded the firmware from version 1.07 to 1.33 (unchecked option to save BMC configuration)
  • After firmware update, I logged back into the IPMI webpage via 192.168.1.99
  • Went to the Configuration-Network area and changed setting from " Use the following IP address" to " Obtain an IP address automatically (use DHCP)" and clicked Save
  • Removed the Ethernet cable between my laptop and the CB3 board
  • Connected an Ethernet cable from my network switch to the CB3 board
  • On the laptop, now running on my network via WIFI, I opened a browser and navigated to 192.168.0.29 which opened the IPMI login webpage
    • Note: this IP address was statically assigned by my network and will likely be different in your environment. If you can't easily locate the assigned IP then you can use a app like IPMIView to find it
Interestingly, I didn't have to change the JP7 jumper pins back to 2-3 (static/DHCP) for it to use the IP address of 192.168.0.29 as it's working while it's still set to pins 1-2.

Now I just need to look into configuring the fan speeds to run at a lower setting as the "Standard Speed" setting cycles between high speed and low/off while "Full speed" settings runs the fans at too high a speed. I believe this will require updating the lower threshold settings for the fans in IPMI using an external tool as the native fan setting offered by the web UI are not granular enough.

Last edited: