CSE-216 with EPYC 7002

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

donileo

May 17, 2018
I just purchased two CSE-216 chassis with air shrouds and internal fans for use with TYAN S8030GM2NE motherboards and EPYC 7502's. As far as cooling is it ok to use the Supermicro passive heatsinks or should I go with active ones? Here are the passive heatsinks and active heatsinks with fans. I'm concerned about temps but don't want to go active unless necessary as that may add to case noise for no reason.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
In my experience an active heatsink improves the cooling (cpus temps are lower than in a passive setup) and reduces noise because the fans in the fanwall don't have to push that much air anymore and run quieter.

donileo

May 17, 2018
@i386 Do you do anything special in such a config like pull out the two middle fans that normally would be for the cpus? Or maybe configure the fan curve to be lower rpm's for those internal fans? Or do the internal fans simply not speed up and are independent of the active heatsink fans?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Do you do anything special in such a config like pull out the two middle fans that normally would be for the cpus?
No, removing two fans would increase the temperature around the heatsink and cause the fan on the heatsink to run faster. (216 and 826 don't have fans on the rear that could remove hot air!)
Or do the internal fans simply not speed up and are independent of the active heatsink fans?
This depends on the mainboard.
Supermicro mainboards have two cooling zones, one for the cpu(s) (usually called fan1, fan2 etc. in the manual) and another for add in cards (fanA,fanB etc). The first zone would be controlled by the cpu temperature(s), the second zone is controlled by the system temperature.