Could someone help me build a usb sd card to uefi for firmware upgrade?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
Could someone help me build a usb sd card to uefi for firmware upgrade?

LSI 9211 i8.

I tried rufus, usb 2.0, added all the files, hit F11, select uefi use device, and it goes back to F11 boot options. IR firmware.

I tried 3 guides already none of them work.

This is driving me insane.

Thanks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Are you formatting it to Fat32 in Rufus? If not UEFI boot won't work on the drive.

This drove me nuts! Thanks to @coolrunnings82 for the tip that made me stop pulling out my hair!!

Careful Rufus defaults back to different things too!!!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
MBR or GPT have you tried one or other or both?

Are you configuring rufus for legacy or uefi or just uefi?

Are you trying to make a boot disk with RuFus uefi boot or are you trying to make _SOMETHING_ else bootable?

Is the BIOS setup for Legacy and/or UEFI or just one?
Maybe try to force UEFI?

DO you have USB opTrom (if there is one) enabled / enable usb boot?

Is UEFI USB boot one of / the first boot option? (Sometimes may say legacy boot, don't want that)

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
MBR or GPT have you tried one or other or both?

Are you configuring rufus for legacy or uefi or just uefi?

Are you trying to make a boot disk with RuFus uefi boot or are you trying to make _SOMETHING_ else bootable?

Is the BIOS setup for Legacy and/or UEFI or just one?
Maybe try to force UEFI?

DO you have USB opTrom (if there is one) enabled / enable usb boot?

Is UEFI USB boot one of / the first boot option? (Sometimes may say legacy boot, don't want that)
I've tried MBR and GPT option.

When I try GPT for UEFI, it asks for an ISO.

I don't have have an iso, "???" lost at that.

My motherboard is strictly UEFI.

@opTrom, i have no clue what that is.

I used F11 to boot from UEFI usb device, should work without setting as first device on my board.

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
What are the directions exactly for IR mode p19 to IR mode p20 firmware?

There are so many lost directions on the net I tried so many non work and Im gone nuts.

I should be able to pop files on disk after creating UEFI usb device and upgrade.

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
Nothing works to flash this card.

I've flashed an Intel Ethernet adapter juar fine on this pc.

Just cannot flash this card.

F11/uefi USB device goes back to boot options.
F11/dos goes to c:>
fs0 is bad cmd
Map -b is bad cmd

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Disclaimer:
1. I have not flashed a RAID controller in years
2. Last one i did flash was a PERC H700 (or the LSI 2008 on the X10SL7-F)

Why not try DOS bootable USB instead?
Even the MFG steps say make bootable DOS based media:
Broadcom Limited

What motherboard are you using to do this?

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
WIn7x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'd@4.5GHz, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASUS Xonar D1, LSI 9211-8i, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641),2 x HGST A7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 3 TB, Vertex II 60GB,Samsung SH-S223L.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I guess your motherboard is Asrock z75 pro 3.

The steps in the link you provided work. I can attest to it as I used that to flash an M1015 on a ASUS uefi based motherboard.

Just trying to understand why you cannot use a regular USB stick and need an SD card. It is more straight forward.

Use Rufus to create a Bootable usb stick and try the flash. Please post the exact steps / commands you use and the error message that you get. It will help identify issues. It's difficult to troubleshoot without knowing the exact errors.

I posted a freedos iso that i used on a supermicro lsi 2008. I'm on mobile and not able to find it. You should be able to use that image with your firmware files to flash

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
I dunno what to do.

Site says use dis I get pal error.

U say use uefi, it goes to "reboot and select prior boot device

HITTI2

Jul 2, 2017
i am at a loss.
cannot even upgrade stoopid damn firmware on this thing.

no clear instructions on how to.

there are 10 mixed resulted instructions on the web.

bs.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Follow the steps exactly in the link that you posted

Tutorial: Updating IBM M1015/LSI 9211-8i Firmware on UEFI Systems

Part 1 describes the method to created a usb Bootable flash drive.

Create the drive in that manner.

Before you start part 2, remove all other usb drives/ SD cards and disconnect any hdd/ssd.

Follow instructions for your Motherboard to boot into the uefi shell. Then follow part 2 of the instructions.

I understand your frustration. My first attempt at flashing this card on a consumer asus board had me pulling my hair out and took about 4-5 hrs. I have had no issues with or even older boards without uefi.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I see the issue.
You are trying to boot from the usb device via uefi. The usb drive prepared via those instructions is not bootable but just contains the tools needed for flashing .

You will need to boot into the uefi shell. I am not familiar with your motherboard and if it is possible but it should be somewhere in advanced boot settings or extended boot settings. Once you boot into the uefi shell, you can follow the instructions.

Or you would need to create a uefi Bootable disk and use that. I've never had to do it so can't help with that.

Your second screenshot using dos will definitely not work on your motherboard.

If you have access to an older board without uefi, the easiest way for you would be to use it with the dos based instructions.

K D

Dec 24, 2016

Page 64 of your motherboard manual describes how to boot into uefi shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HITTI2