Compellent SC030 CT-SC030

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
I posted part of this is in the build forum but this may be the more appropriate place to ask my questions. I have a local source for one of these and a few concerns/questions.

1. Does presence of the removable rear window as indicated by two screws beneath the PWS indicate a 836B chassis variant?

2. The hard drive trays included with this box all have beige plastic dummy hard drives. They appear to be 05-SC82518-W100C001. Can these inserts be removed and replaced with hdd without buying new caddies?

3. The chassis has a direct attache backplane likely a 836TQ. I've got access to SAS2-836EL2 backplane assembly. Should be a able to do a swap with no issues yes?

4. How terrible are PWS-801-1R?

Thanks

Reactions: epicurean

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Pre "B" chassis use gold certified psus (not sure if these are the psus with fans running all the time at full rpm, even when the server is not powered on), have older power distributions boards (no support for the Super Quiet psus) and no option for the hot swap bays in the back.
Also, yes I will be in same room as server
In that case the pws-801-1r is pretty terrible (loud!), replace the pdb and get sq psus.

Reactions: nicklebon

K D

Dec 24, 2016
One screw on the mother board will not line up with the chassis but that should not be an issue. I am running a a 1518 version of this board without issues in 2 older revision chassis.

I wouldnt plan to be in the same room with any SM server not using an SQ PSU.

Reactions: nicklebon

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
Thanks! Since I've got to take it all apart to replace the backplane anyway might as well do it all at once .... any thoughts on where to get a PDB reasonably priced?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I would check if the PDB you have supports the SQ PSUs before replacing it. I havent had to replace the PDBs in any of mine. All of them are older revisions.

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
Thanks for the information! I picked up the chassis today and got the backplane swapped in. I can live with the noise for a while though long term I will try to quiet it down some. The fans seems much worse than the pws atm. I now need to track down a set of outer rails for the thing and work out a few other details.