Comments wiped on posts when page reloads

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Malvineous

Sep 28, 2018
I just started writing a comment in reply to a review on the main site, and had to go away for a moment, and when I came back the page had reloaded and my partial comment had been wiped.

I'm not sure why the pages randomly reload but I wonder if there's a way to switch it off? Sometimes I like to leave reviews open to remind myself of the points, but it's annoying when they keep reloading all the time losing my place, and I have to close the tabs to stop it. Now I have learned the hard way that I can't write comment replies unless I write them in another app and copy/paste them in when I'm done, otherwise I risk losing what I've written.

The only thing I can think of is that it's reloading to refresh ads, but that could be achieved by putting the ads in an IFrame and just reloading that, which wouldn't result in people losing their half-completed comments.

Any chance of this issue being fixed?

Malvineous

Sep 28, 2018
Dammit I just had another comment wiped out half way though because I forgot about the reload thing. Lesson learned, never bother writing a comment on the main article unless it's the length of a tweet!

I had a look on the forum but I can't find where the same messages appear as on the main articles.

Malvineous

Sep 28, 2018
Those forum threads are different to the ones on the site. For example the latest thread has no messages but there are two comments on the article if you visit the site.

However it looks like this issue has since been addressed, as now when the page reloads it keeps your message intact, so it's now only a minor inconvenience rather than rage inducing. Glad to see it has been fixed!