Clarity on hard drive setup and Promox All in one free NAS article

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

exup

Nov 24, 2019
Hi, I am experimenting with self hosting and creating a NAS storage and Nextcloud running on Proxmox Server. I am just struggling to get the hard drive setup concept. I read the article
https://www.servethehome.com/the-proxmox-ve-kvm-based-all-in-one-freenas/
but still not clear on the FreeNAS ZFS Storage (pass through).

(Attached is a pdf of screen shots of my proxmox if that helps)
So I have two SSD's which hosts Promox OS in a mirror
Then three drives setup as RAIDZ-0 which hosts the VMS (FreeNAS)

Now the other single drive which will be for the FreeNAS to host the storage is not clear to me how I set that up in Proxmox to be seen by the Free NAS VM.
  • Do I create a ZFS storage pool in Promox then allocated disk space to the FreeNAS
  • Do I leave them as is and go in and configure them directly in nano /etc/pve/nodes/fmt-pve-03/qemu-server/xyz.conf

Cheers

Attachments

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I tried this last year and Proxmox wouldn't pass thru all smart data to FreeNAS. That's not good.

The only officially supported hypervisor for FreeNAS, when last I checked, was ESXI.

I ended up setting up the ZFS volumes under Proxmox and just allocated space to FreeNAS (to run fileshares, plugins etc). I monitor disk health etc from Proxmox and everything runs fine.

Also, might want to consider running raid-z2 or better for your precious data (min of 4 drives). :)

exup

Nov 24, 2019
Hi, ok thanks this is what I am currently doing and yes once the concept is working well. I will invest in better hardware and move it into production so to speak.

Reactions: genepool