Cisco Topspin 120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has one of these working in their environment. Setup has been a bit rough. Wondering:
1. Which Infiniband cards they are using to connect.
2. Did you have subnet manager working on it?
3. How do you have it bridged to an Ethernet network?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have one coming in a few days...
What were you having troubles with ?
Specifically, time. I have been so busy that I have not been able to really play with it. That was more of a prospective post to guide my setup. Sadly, I ran out of time.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Patrick sent me his TopSpin 120 to play around with. So far I have it up and running with two clients and the management working with telnet. It is quite loud so I may want to find a way of swapping the fans. From what I can find, 2.9.0 build 147 is the newest firmware image. So far it is very Cisco like, so any experience with IOS will apply. Currently, I am running openSM on one of my nodes, but it does seem 2.9.0b147 has a SM built in. On a non tech note, it looks like the company this switch came from is out of business, their building is for lease....(Edit: The address was for the Topspin Communications Inc. Office)

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Got the web management working. It requires IE6.0, Netscape 6.0, or Mozilla 1.4/1.6. I found Mozilla 1.6 online. Basic web management works, Chassis View does not work because of an unfulfilled java requirement.

Also got the subnet manager working on the switch. I used the default settings given through the web management.

IPoIB works as expected using both connected and datagram. I am getting similar speeds as direct connected 10Gbps cards.

brownjett

Jan 12, 2013
After the very important "here's how to get it all working" hints, I'd like to see benchmarks that show large and small block read and write performance at high queue depth for a storage server setup - one machine with disk serving up data to one or more client machines via various IB protocols to see which provides the best performance. Protocols: SMB, SDP, iSCSI, IPoIB, and maybe NFS. That's not asking too much is it?