Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 10, 2016
I just picked it up from the local UPS depot today before I left town as they were going to charge me $70 a day to store it as it was due to be delivered tomorrow. They are sas 2 backplanes. Two of them with 1 in 1 out, and 1 switchable each. I will report on noise next week when I get back. I'm guessing the power supplies will be the loudest part. My plan is to put my e-atx motherboard in it - there is another 8 pin EPS connector for dual CPU boards. I'm not terribly concerned about noise as this is longer than the norco 4224 it is replacing and as such will not fit in my closet under the HVAC in my apartment, so I will be running some fiber down to the storage locker in the basement and moving it there.

Chenbro - Products
Says it supports 12"x13" EEB boards, so it may or may not have the proper holes tapped, but it should fit.

Reactions: Rain
May 10, 2016
Looking forward to hearing about the noise. How is the build quality?
The chassis itself and the rails seem quite sturdy. The drive trays are as was stated a bit flimsy, but I'm sure they'll be fine once the drives are mounted to them. It's a fair bit heavier than my norco when it was empty, if memory serves.

May 10, 2016
Sorry, I just got back in town last night. So far I have found that it came with one bad power supply and has a fairly sizable dent in the rack ear by the handle. As for noise, it measures about 80dB about a foot away from the exhaust of the unit. The motherboard tray is very nice to work with as the entire thing slides out of the back of the chassis with 8 screws. It fits my s2600cp4 perfectly, I just had to move some of the stand offs and add two additional ones. The one thing that does not currently fit are the passive CPU coolers that came with the board as they are about 1/4" too tall to close the case completely, if anyone knows of a good place to get some inexpensive quality 3u lga2011 coolers, please let me know. I will check into getting a new power supply and what they say about the dent and keep everyone posted as I am able to do more testing and finish assembling my old server components as well as a couple of additional ones in the case.

Reactions: amsteel

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Yikes. That seems loud. I'll have to get my phone dB app out and see how loud all of my stuff is in the same location so I can compare. Is it higher pitched and annoying, or more of a white noise? Perhaps a sound recording? Yes...I know I'm ridiculous, but I'd totally do it!

amsteel

May 5, 2016
Sounds to me it is louder than the sC847 stock. Is it from the PSU fans or the case fans? If you have any chance to check it out...
Thanks,

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I bet it is the power supplies. I had a redundant PSU by Athena Power that had very similar looking power modules, and it was ridiculously loud, nothing compared even to the gold rated Supermicro PSUs and absolutely much worse than the Supermicro SQ and Platinum rated modules.

amsteel

May 5, 2016
Any recommendations on replacing those PSUs to quiter ones? If that is the source of the noise...

May 10, 2016
The entire tray of 4 PSU's appears to be removable. If you removed the 2.5" Caddies, you could fit a normal ATX power supply in there as well. They are definitely noises, but the 6x 120mm fans (three in front and three mid plane) are quite loud as well, but I'm not sure how much quieter of fans you will be able to find that have enough static pressure to effectively cool 3 rows of 16 hard drives.

The PSU fans are definitely the more annoying and higher pitched of the two, so it could definitely help to an extent.

An ATX PSU would require a custom wiring harness as the backplanes require 4 pin (similar to 4 pins of an EPS connector) for the 5 volt and 8 pin 12v connector. Not a big deal, I'v done custom harnesses for ATX power supplies in server chassis before, but it could be daunting for some.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I think I'll stick with getting a JBOD setup from Supermicro. I could even go with a 846 and just convert it if I can get a good deal on one. I don't know that I need more than another 24. Good deal though!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
that sounds a lot louder than the backblaze-like pod i built 3 years ago; that thing was pretty quiet for what it was; wish i had built it for my home instead of my employer at the time.

May 10, 2016
The seller missed my first message about the problems, however, they replied to my message today promptly. The employee seemed to wish that he could just send me a power supply, however, they were not parting out any of the units as they are apparently selling these at a loss. I was issued a $40 partial refund. I don't need 4 redundant power supplies as for my needs it will run with one (maybe two as I eventually reach the full hard drive capacity), I just have to press the alarm mute button if I do a full power cycle rather than just a reboot.