Check efficiency of lz4 compression in ZFS

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by daisho, Nov 26, 2019.

1. daisho

daisho New Member

Hi,

is it possible to see the real space usage of a file in ZFS when e.g. lz4 compression is enabled?
    When I do a ls -l of a folder it looks like it shows the non-compressed size (or compression is completely ineffective for those files) though.

Anyone already hampered with that kind of stuff?

Thanks,
    daisho

2. gea

gea Well-Known Member

You can check compressratio for all filesystems
    zfs get compressratio

for a single filesystem ex
    zfs get compressratio tank/data

btw
    if you enable compress, this will only affect newly written or modified datablocks

3. daisho

daisho New Member

Thanks, current ratio is 1.00 because apparently I have to enable the feature also on the ZFS filesystem and not only the pool :(
    (/edit: or at least it is not sufficient that the pool lists the feature as activated)

4. vanfawx

vanfawx Active Member

zfs get compressratio,used,logicalused

This will get you the compression ratio, how much it's actually using on disk, and how much it would be using if not for compression.

5. thulle

thulle New Member

Use "ls -lks"

Writing two 1MiB files to disk, one all nulldata and one half nulldata and half random data then shows:

Code:
      1 -rw-r--r-- 1 thulle thulle 1048576 27 nov 16.21 zero
    529 -rw-r--r-- 1 thulle thulle 1048576 27 nov 16.21 zero2

The allocated space is the first number, 1KiB for the nulldata and 529KiB when half of it is random data.

6. daisho

daisho New Member

Thanks to you both. Now that I've actually enabled lz4 compression I can see the different ratios (on rpool it was enabled already).