cheap 4x spf+ 10G switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FWIW They will take $150 each.

I put in a super low ball for fun :)

Rain

May 13, 2013
How's ease of management on these? Or, rather, how's ease of management on HP switches in general? Anyone have any experience with these before?

Reactions: coolrunnings82

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
How's ease of management on these? Or, rather, how's ease of management on HP switches in general? Anyone have any experience with these before?
If you know IOS then Procurve is pretty easy. Trunking is the biggest day to day you would need to know. Otherwise for this Edge switch its pretty straightforward.

The 6600 is a good value switch. You will need Procurve id'd sfps, as generics won't work. There is no generic override like on Cisco.

I prefer the 3500 and 6200 to this one but for the price its good.

Reactions: Rain

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
To these require passive copper and tranceivers from HP?
These will take DAC and LC-LC sfp+. You need Procurve id'd transceivers. HP id'd transceivers won't work. There is a difference. Only the very latest HP id'd cables transceivers might work. Stick with Procurve from helink.

Reactions: Patrick

canta

Nov 26, 2014
this is a good time to buy or waiting for the next time?

I am worrying on idle power consumption :D, mucho energia wasted for SOHO/Home user.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
this is a good time to buy or waiting for the next time?

I am worrying on idle power consumption :D, mucho energia wasted for SOHO/Home user.
These prices will always drop over time. I'd say you'd have trouble finding 4 10gbe ports for the price.

With 10gbe ports and a older switch power usage will be higher. There are less power hungry switches but they will cost you more.

This should have a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: canta

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Too bad these are not the 48 ports with the F2 core, but still a nice price.
Good find by @canta with the tech info on each switch in the series. Also of note the 10G ports are oversubscribed, with a pair of ports sharing a 14.4G link.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
On the over-subscription, it only applies when going 10G port to 1G port. In that case, 28.8Gbps is enough to feed the 1G ports on the device. When going 10G to 10G, that's direct wire speed. This is more of an issue with the older modular switches, where you did need to balance speed between cards. Port to Port on the same card is fine though.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
These prices will always drop over time. I'd say you'd have trouble finding 4 10gbe ports for the price.

With 10gbe ports and a older switch power usage will be higher. There are less power hungry switches but they will cost you more.

This should have a lifetime warranty.
thanks for the input

I will wait :D