Ceph - Linux on the controller...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
ok... not what i imagined(I was picturing a standard ethernet port) but very cool hopefully this helps bring down storage costs overall

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This is a very active area of development. WD and Seagate are pushing competing standards for the pinout and interface on the SATA connector, though there is some evidence they are pushing towards a single converged approach.

There are at least a dozen companies I am aware of working different versions of this same idea, including the usual drive manufacturers (WD, Seagate, HGST), the big equipment dealers (HP, Dell, etc) and a whole pile of ambitious startups.

Publicly:

SM already has a chassis based on Seagate's "kinetic drive" stardard: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | K1048-RT with Part List. 12 drives and an Ethernet switch in a 1U chassis.

Also see here for a startup doing all SSD drives with a rather generic Linux on them (with Ceph OSD "application" all packaged up):
Fixstars Ceph on Olive Special Site

Reactions: Patrick

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Interesting point on the Olive specsheet is that they're using eMMC. I wonder what impact that'll have on performance.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Interesting point on the Olive specsheet is that they're using eMMC. I wonder what impact that'll have on performance.
Probably not enough to hamper a gigabit link, this is a benchmark against a 32gb eMMC module from a intel compute stick, sequentially it could saturate gigabit Read Sequential no problem, assuming they have some level of added parallelism moving to a higher capacity Sequential write should catch up fairly quickly

Attachments

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Note that the interface standard proposals - both the WD and Seagate versions - anticipate support for 2.5gbit.

I still think with internal parallelism they could saturate it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick