Can't install Windows 10 on a Supermicro H11DSi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I have a Supermicro H11DSi rev. 1.x with two Epyc 7551 and 512GB or RAM.
For some reason, I can no longer install Windows 10 on it. When booting from the USB stick for installation, the installer always bluescreens with the error message "kernel mode heap corruption".

I have been able to install Windows 10 on this Workstation in the past. The only difference in terms of configurations is the bios version 1.3 I got from here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/overclock-your-amd-epyc.23422/
Apart from boot options, all bios settings should be at their default values because I cleared CMOS.
I think last time I installed Win10 on this machine, it was with bios version 1.0c
Linux still runs fine on it. I created the USB drive by downloading windows media creation tool 1909, and letting it prepare the USB drive automatically.
I tried a few things so far, to no avail:
Two different USB sticks, a total of 3 downloads of the windows install files
Booting with onboard graphics and the AMD RX 570
Disabled SMT, thinking 128 threads might be too much for windows 10 to handle during installation
Tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

Any thoughts on this are welcome...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Try a newer iso file, Microsoft fixed something Epyc/Ryzen related in the installer a few months ago.
There were other users with a similar problem, but I can't find the thread right now.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Where would I find a newer version than the one Microsoft offers? All I can find online are issues caused by the May 2019 version. I tried November 2019 (1909) build.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
From the microsoft media creation tool (home edition, not sure if it also works for professional),from your microsoft subscription or from "the internet" (make sure the cheksums are correct!)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The media creation tool I downloaded here Windows 10 herunterladen
does not offer any version selection option. I don't have a Microsoft subscription (never heard of that either), and the iso files I find on this so-called "internet" are the November 2019 build.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
if you have flashe this bios from OVERCLOCK-topic (Amitsemodbcp1.3), then i can tell you that i dit it, too. and NO problems with booting.

i used already installed win10 v1909 with ami aptio v (aptio 5) flash utility gui under win10 to flash that bios file. no problems.

try "internet" (usenet) to find enterprise windows.

most legal and official possible way

Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

EDIT: windows 10 edu has almost same features as enterprise

EDIT 2: UUP dump
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...table-iso-windows-10-build-upgrade-files.html

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
For anyone having the same problem: enabling IOMMU in bios did the trick. If that still desn't work, disable "above 4G decoding".

fieryspoon

Apr 26, 2020
I have a revision 2 H11DSi motherboard with a single 7601 epyc installed.
I have downloaded the Windows 10 1909 ISO and put it on a USB stick with a FAT32 partition and an NTFS partition for the large install.win file.

I have 2 SATA SSDs hooked up and I can't seem to install Windows 10 on to it at all. I'm having a slightly different, and possibly earlier problem than the one described above:
Once the setup starts, I get "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. ..."

I've tried installing the IRST drivers from here: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver but didn't get anywhere with that.

Did you have to do anything special to get the process started @alex_stief? I toggled those two settings you mentioned, but it didn't seem to affect this part of the process.

Thanks!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The error message you get is a different one. So it might need a different solution. As you can see from this thread, I am not the best guy to ask about Windows installation problems. Sorry. But I have seen things...
Downloading the Windows iso again and creating the USB stick anew got me out of a bind more than once.
So did trying a different USB stick. And re-formatting it. A single NTFS partition should be enough.
Oh and USB ports...try them all, especially the USB 2.0.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
do you see your drives in your bios?

i have m2 nvme put on my h11dsi. and i cann't see it in my bios.

somewhere in bios i chose something like AMI NATIVE FIRMWARE.

when choosing MANUFACTURER FIRMWARE i cann't see it in bios.

or maybe something else...change in bios in BOOT-options something like LEGACY OPROM

and....there is no need to use FAT32 stick. just NTFS usb stick is also good.

you can also try ULTRAISO to make bootable usb stick.
. open the iso file in ULTRAISO
. search somewhere in menus for WRITE BOOTABLE IMAGE (or MAKE BOOTABLE DISK)
. in the next small screen choose for USB-HDD+ as writing methode

fieryspoon

Apr 26, 2020
I'll try to get access to another windows machine to use the media creation tool or ultraiso. At the moment, all I have is ubuntu.

I don't have any nvme drives and both sata ssds show up in the bios.

As for booting off the NTFS stick -- I actually bought a windows 10 pro stick which is NTFS formatted (and should presumably work, if I could successfully boot from it). Unfortunately, when I boot from that (or any other NTFS partition, without a fat32 partition to start from), it fails to boot from it and then moves on to the next option, which is my ubuntu install.

If I turn off booting from the ssd entirely and only allow it to try to boot from the USB stick, it will sit there trying and failing to start up from that over and over. Is there something else I'd need to do to get NTFS to boot? Maybe if I solve that, the factory windows USB stick will just work for me.

I don't see any options in the BIOS for USB settings, so I'm not sure what I could even try with that one.