Can't get ipmi KVM to work on newer Supermicro MB's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
BIOS is 3.4 and ipmi is 3.93. Just upgraded both yesterday trying to get it to work.

Hello

I have just updated two SM X10 motherboards and have experienced similar problems.

One was a X10SRi-F and the other a X10SL7-F. The X10SRi-F was updated to Bios 3.4 and BMC Firmware 3.93. I did the normal full Power-Off shutdown, with a Battery-Out - Bios set to Defaults.

I used Firefox to perform the upgrade, using the BMC MAC IP address to login to the IPMI. After the upgrade, I used Firefox again to Login to the IPMI webpage, Firefox allowed a Login to the webpage – but did not show the System Details, MAC Addresses, Sensor Readings etc.

I thought that the BMC upgrade to 3.93 had failed! - Although the server was running normally, with the BMC light blinking as expected.

After some web searching to resolve this problem. I tried using a different Web Browser to login.

Using MS Edge, I tried again to login using the BMC MAC IP address, this worked with no problems at all. Everything was there as expected and even the HTML5 window worked. I was really quite relived, - not to have to resolve this issue any further.

I would try using a different Web Browser, it would seem that the Firefox (and maybe some other Web Browsers) security algorithms are having negative impacts.

In case all else fails, I do keep an old machine with Internet Explorer active, just to work with these older motherboards.

I hope this works for you too.

Have fun.

RedX1

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Never upgrade firmware through browser. Re-appply the firmware upgrade again through DOS. The majority of all the upgrades I did in the beginning, just led to the same problem. No values were shown. Until I started to upgrade via DOS and never had the issue again.