Can't get ipmi KVM to work on newer Supermicro MB's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Getting a "Connection Failed" error message. I've messed with Java till I'm blue in the face and still no joy. Google returns gibberish.

Does anyone know how to get it working?

TIA

EDIT: Should have mentioned this is using ipmiview.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
which motherboard? I didnt think IPMIView worked with the HTML5 motherboards (X10/H10+).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Any particular reason why u cant use the HTML5 option?
How?

Also on a related note, I found "Settings" in the ipmi menu but it asks for a user name and password and they are not ADMIN, ADMIN. I have found
nothing on this via Google.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It sounds like your first problem is that you are unable to login to the IPMI.
You should fix this first, if you can use the server with a monitor, you could probably follow this guide:

When you have access to the IPMI interface (for general use, I would personally skip IPMIview and just use the web interface), you should be able to use the HTML5 KVM interface from the web interface.
Keep in mind that you may need to update the IPMI firmware for HTML5 to become available.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just tried via ipmi web interface and got "No signal".

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Did you change anything in the bios? Maybe do a reset to defaults or even CMOS reset..

It sound as if both ways have the same issue - did this use to work?

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Did you change anything in the bios? Maybe do a reset to defaults or even CMOS reset..

It sound as if both ways have the same issue - did this use to work?
I don't think KVM has ever worked on the X10 boards. I just updated the BIOS and Firmware on a X10SRL-F hoping I could then connect via HTML5 but alas, no joy. I did run into a slew of strange problems like I could not get ipmi to save any settings and Windows would not boot but I was able to resolve those issues (I hope). I read somewhere here about problems with the 3.4 BIOS, don't remember which tho but I'm going to research before upgrading my 2 X10SRH-CF. I'll keep plugging away at it till I either resolve it or brick a board or two.

Looks like ipmiview has been rendered obsolete. Without KVM it's pretty much useless.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Whenever you resolve your connectivity problem it might be that both ways of access will be working again.
Have not used IPMIView in years but ti *should* work with X10's too (" IPMIView V2.0 supports Supermicro’s BMCs that adheres to either IPMI v1.5 or v2.0. ")

Now the issue with X10 boards must be one of yours since this is working fine on my boards.

Edit - Tried ipmiview on mine but its not even opening the KVM window... no error, nothing.
Sorry not keen on debugging that at this point :/

But - thanks for getting me to try IPMIVierw, since i found its a simple way to update the FRU information which is not possible on the BMC interface

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Whenever you resolve your connectivity problem it might be that both ways of access will be working again.
Have not used IPMIView in years but ti *should* work with X10's too (" IPMIView V2.0 supports Supermicro’s BMCs that adheres to either IPMI v1.5 or v2.0. ")

Now the issue with X10 boards must be one of yours since this is working fine on my boards.

Edit - Tried ipmiview on mine but its not even opening the KVM window... no error, nothing.
Sorry not keen on debugging that at this point :/

But - thanks for getting me to try IPMIVierw, since i found its a simple way to update the FRU information which is not possible on the BMC interface
I think it has something to do with HTML5.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So, can you connect to the box in IPMIView? and you can login? Or where do you get the can't connect? KVM Console only?
But the same user is not working on Web Interface?

Not sure why KVM over IPMIView is not working for me, it opens stunnel just fine.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
So, can you connect to the box in IPMIView? and you can login? Or where do you get the can't connect? KVM Console only?
But the same user is not working on Web Interface?

Not sure why KVM over IPMIView is not working for me, it opens stunnel just fine.
Yep, I can connect using ipmi and everything works except KVM. I think I read somewhere that x10 boards use HTML5 and ipmiview isn't compatible with HTML5. After reading this I decided attempt to connect view ipmi web interface. Under Remote Control there is iKVM/HTML5. My X10SRL-F has this option grayed out and My X10SRH-CF boards return "Connection Failed. I've tried several different browsers and get the same with all of them.

EDIT : Just checked the X10SRL-F using Google and the window opens but I get "No Signal"

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Weird, its working fine on my X10SRi-F. Don't have a X10SRL any more, but I am sure it worked there as well.
What BMC Version have you installed? I am at 3.93 (and an ancient 2.0a bios version i just noticed:p)

Have you tried Bios reset/IPMI reset?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
BIOS is 3.4 and ipmi is 3.93. Just upgraded both yesterday trying to get it to work.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you got a graphics card in that box?
Maybe there are some issues if the primary display is mapped to a dedicated gpu instead of the BMC chip

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hmmm, could be. It's being used as a work station and has a GT 750 in it. I'll have to remove it and if that's it. Thanks.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
They updated IPMIView a few months ago to support the HTML5 consoles: https://www.supermicro.com/Bios/sw_download/419/release_notes_ipmiview_2.20.0_build_20220309.pdf

I also have a mix of x9 and x10 boards and always just pulled up a browser if I needed console on the x10s.
I just ran into that again now and decided to look for an update since 2.19 didn't support HTML5 consoles and was pleasantly surprised.

-- Dave

Reactions: gb00s and Fritz