Can SATA disks work with PCIe-only MCIO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JavaNocKziK

Feb 24, 2021
So my understanding is MCIO is a replacement for MiniSAS HD/SlimSAS (and possibly OcuLINK?) as it can support much faster transfer rates for future PCIe standards?

But like, I noticed that some motherboards suggest an MCIO port supporting PCIe Gen3 x8 OR SATA (8x I guess) via the PCH bus, but then others ONLY support like PCIe Gen5 x8 with no mention of SATA, see below:
1710182046556.png

This is AsRock Rack SP2C741D32G-2L+, nothing special about it but just an example.

So I guess the question here is, let's say you want to run a bunch of drives in a NAS, would you still be able to run SATA-based disks off the MCIO ports that mention only PCIe? Or would it not be compatible? Cause, correct me if I'm wrong, but things like a U.3 or EDSFF drive (basically any modern NVMe-based SSD) would be PCIe and it wouldn't matter?

If SATA won't work via such a port, would a SAS drive work or no?

Dankje :)!

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
My view would be you would need an adapter of some sort to run SATA off those CPU0/1 MCIO plugs. The PCH one states SATA or PCIE. As well the PCH port shows up to 9 drives.

That sure seems to be a ton of lanes for drives though.

MCIO is just the port connector form factor that can have different signaling depending on how the OEM wires things.

I run a U.3 Kioxia as my "NAS" drive because I wanted to slim things down and get rid of the spinners I was using. It's nice to have a singl 15.36TB drive instead of 5 spinners for the same capacity and bumping the speed to 10X+ in the same swap.

I can't say for sure but, you might be able to use those other formats for drives using some sort of backplane though. Just need something that translates the signals from PCIE / sas/sata. It wouldn't be the most efficient use of the lanes though by any means but, you should be able to mux multiple dives through the same uplink in theory.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Generally, no, you can't. It would be like trying to plug a SATA drive into a PCIe slot. Generally, those connectors are just a PCIe slot in a different form.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Neither SAS nor SATA would work. A PCIe-only connector must connect to a PCIe device. Some have restrictions but in general you could adapt one of those to a PCIe or M.2 slot and put an HBA in it.