[Build Log] Network ReShuffle - Gigabit VPN Offsite Backup Server (pics)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
My last build log was the FINAL Bachelor Build - Xeon D vSAN Cluster. Well, a lot has changed in the past 20 months since that build began with regard to my priorities. Free time is at a premium these days and thus I just don't have the time anymore to manage my network on a daily basis, nor do I want to. And now with starting a family becoming a major priority, it's time to downsize and simplify (maybe? :D).

The main priority of this project is to downsize the number of nodes I'm running from 4 (2 storage, 2 compute) to 3 (1 storage, 2 compute) and basically move my current local backup server to the other side of the site-to-site VPN (more on this later) I have between my house and my parents'. I will have to upgrade both the pfSense box in my home (Site A) and the pfSense box in my parents' home (Site B).

A few things that have changed since that build are:

1. Switched from vSAN to a FreeNAS shared VM storage server. It was fun to play with vSAN but not very practical for home use. FreeNAS has been pretty set it and forget it (though this is still an area of focus)
  2. Upgraded both my home and my parents home to FIOS Gigabit
  3. Just finished up a major home renovation including cat6 runs throughout for media streaming, cameras, and WiFi AP's.

The above nodes are acting as follows (bottom to top)

1. Bulk Storage Array #1 - media storage, VM snapshots, surveillance storage, software/personal data
2. ESXi02 - Multitude of VM's including Bulk Storage Array #2 (backups up Array #1)
3. ESXi01 - Main compute host. Runs media servers and other related services.
4. FreeNAS - VM shared storage server.

The build plan going forward is as follows:
  • Eliminate FreeNAS server and move flash storage back into ESXi boxes for local datastores
  • Migrate ESXi02 into the chassis running FreeNAS in order to completely eliminate the current physical chassis running ESXi02.
  • Move all bulk drives running in ESXi02 and migrate them into a new offsite storage server.
  • Build new offsite storage server in U-NAS NSC-810a with aforementioned drives from Bulk Array #2
  • Upgrade pfSense Site A (thinking i3-6100 build) to handle Gigabit VPN
  • Move hardware in pfSense Site A (c2758) to pfSense Site B.
  • Upgrade drives in Bulk Array #1 from Seagate 8TB SMR's to WD Gold 10TB drives.

There will be lots of new hardware coming in (some is here, some is on the way) and lots of existing hardware coming out. Stay tuned for more specifics and pics of each build coming soon :cool:.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Delivered today :cool:. Being that this is the "larger" model that supports mATX, I expected it to be bigger but it's barely any bigger than the NSC-800 I did a build in a few years back. Pleasantly surprised by that.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Very nice chassi.

Any idea on the airflow over the discs so far? - or just unwrapped it?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Very nice chassi.

Any idea on the airflow over the discs so far? - or just unwrapped it?
Just unwrapped so not setup yet. Others have upgraded the stock exhaust fans but from my past experience with these fans heat wasn't an issue. Also this is going to be mainly used as a backup server with weekly VM snapshots and daily replication of my media/personal data so it's not going to be heavily utilized.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Ah, fair enough.

Curious.. Going to utilize WOL or just let it spin idle? Thinking hdd spindowns

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ah, fair enough.

Curious.. Going to utilize WOL or just let it spin idle? Thinking hdd spindowns
It's going to be a NSA (UnRAID) so I'm going to leave it on but disks spun down most of the time. I'm leaving it on because I'm going to have a Windows client VM running on it in case I need to remote into my parents network and do troubleshooting.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
What MB/CPU is going into the uNAS chassis?

Also, did you buy their PSU or are you ordering that on your own?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What MB/CPU is going into the uNAS chassis?

Also, did you buy their PSU or are you ordering that on your own?
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-4C-TLN2F or
ASRock E3C236D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236 - Newegg.com + i3-6100

Seasonic SSP-300SUB 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Flex ATX Power Supply w/ Active PFC F0 & Fully Modular Bulk package - Newegg.com

And yes I realize either is WAY overkill for a backup server but this will also be my backup media streaming server if my own network is down (either on purpose or by accident). Basically one of those motherboard/cpu combos is going in this backup server and the other is going to be my new pfSense firewall.

Reactions: PigLover

SGN

Oct 3, 2016
I'm also looking a solution for OpenVPN site to site tunnels, but to be honest, 1Gbit/s OpenVPN is quite a big challenge. Do you have any confirmed success story on this Atom C2758 to handle 1Gbit?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm also looking a solution for OpenVPN site to site tunnels, but to be honest, 1Gbit/s OpenVPN is quite a big challenge. Do you have any confirmed success story on this Atom C2758 to handle 1Gbit?
Only a high clocking high powered CPU is going to handle 1Gbps OpenVPN as OpenVPN is single threaded and is limited in that sense. So no, I have no illusions of the C2758 handling 1Gbps OpenVPN. As much as I'd love to keep using OpenVPN for it's simplicity and flexibility, I'm going to be relegated to IPSec for sure if I'm trying to maximize my VPN throughput. If my VPN traffic was largely multi-threaded I could go with multiple OpenVPN instances and a Gateway Group but sadly that's not the case.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Got some more goodies in today, including a new mini photobooth I've been meaning to get. So tonight will be my first opportunity to see how that works out. Certainly overkill for posting pics to a build log but a good test run :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: K D