BUG: disabled by default Hardware TSO causes WYSE SFP to fail in opnsense, Realtek drivers needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CobraPL

Dec 18, 2022
WYSE 5070 has two Realtek NICs. One integrated and one (bought separately) 57GKF / 057GK SFP one. Under default installation there is watchdog timeout and interface goes up and down every X seconds.

opnsense disabled all hardware accelerations. Enabling TSO back solves above problem!

EDIT: Updating drivers to Realtek dedicated via "plugin" was needed anyway, cause re-enabling TSO helped AFTER the boot. System was not booting anyway until I removed wan cable during boot or installed Realtek drivers.
Below old content:
Greetings,

I have same stuff as here: @BlueFox
it is not an Extended version, SFP is fancy stuff: 57GKF / 057GK

Problem is that SFP NIC with copper module (HP or Alcatel Photonix) is up while in BIOS. But after I load Ubuntu server, link is down (NIC is visible, just down). In OPNsense link is UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN...

What is wrong? Any ideas what to do? Maybe it is completely not compatible with copper modules?

I tried:
1. Different cables
2. Setting 1GBps on managed switch

I'll try: connecting via SFP patchcord not via RJ45 module.

Last edited:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
I don't have that configuration and have no experience with SFP, but if its a realtek nic on freebsd (i.e opnsense or pfsense) make sure you are running the realtek drivers on the 5070 and not the freebsd ones. That might account for the up/down problems there. On the other hand, the Linux stuff has always run reliably for me out of the box.

Reactions: CobraPL

CobraPL

Dec 18, 2022
I don't have that configuration and have no experience with SFP, but if its a realtek nic on freebsd (i.e opnsense or pfsense) make sure you are running the realtek drivers on the 5070 and not the freebsd ones. That might account for the up/down problems there. On the other hand, the Linux stuff has always run reliably for me out of the box.
Problem solved, it was opnsense fault (disabling TSO).